Honored Contributor

Re: California governor won't free Manson follower Van Houten

Good. I believe she definitely is a threat. Even if she was in a drug-induced stupor at the time, who knows what's been going through her mind since she has been imprisoned? Who could look at her walking around and not be terrified by the sight of her?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

I'm glad to hear she has been denied release.

The idea that anyone who commits murder deserves the same, consistent treatment is a fallacy.  There are so many factors that come into play - premeditation, the degree of depravity of the act and much more.  That's why there are guidelines for sentencing, instead of hard and fast rules.

In this case, the murders were absolutely heinous; unspeakable cruelty.  I can't even begin to  imagine the terror the victims felt or the horror the family members felt on hearing the news.

She received the sentence of death and it was only later commuted.  She should remain in prison for the rest of her worthless life.  Sadly, the victims didn't get their "sentence" commuted.

Shoekitty said

that is so true about factors for sentencing!  It is not like they pulled a gun in a fight, or anger as many death row prisoners have done.  This was premeditated and beyond cruel. Torture was involved.

they were given the death penalty, and because the death penalty was repealed for two minutes, they got a reprieve.!  There was a glitch that reprieved them from the death penalty.  It was never meant to happen like that.  But no one really is put to death anymore.   All of them, but that Tex guy lived long life in prison.  Omg, had they lived on the outside they never would have lived so long!  I am sure most would have died from suicide, drug or alcohol addiction or poisoning or got into a bar fight and died.

Honored Contributor

I don't think any of them should be released.  That was horrible, when that happened.  If they take someone's life, why should they have one of freedom?  

Super Contributor

I don’t think she is a threat but that said none of them should be released. Too many times years later the victims are forgotten and the “poor poor criminal” is let out.  She should be happy they commuted her death sentence to life.  At this point the taxpayers would have to support her either way so leave her inside.

Honored Contributor

She should stay in prison for the rest of her life.  It would be a slap in the face to the family members that lost their lives to let her out.

Respected Contributor

he got this one right.

Respected Contributor

As well he shouldn't!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

Murders, rapists, child molesters are released on parole all the time, many to commit these crimes again and again.  Where is the justice for these victims and families. Seems that a 69 year old woman would be less threatening than most of them.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

None of those awful people should ever see the light of day, IMO. Was very happy when Charles died finally. Horrible crimes committed and they need to pay for it forever--

Honored Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

She is not a threat. She should have been released on parole. 

We (the public) don't have all of the facts. There is no way we can know 100% she is not a threat. I'm sure the Governor's decision to deny parole is based on factual information. 

@Diva on The Q   Whether she is a threat or not, she killed innocent people, therefore she should pay the ultimate price, and she would have if the law that was in effect at that time remained, so she was able to stay alive, which is not an option she gave to her victims.