Respected Contributor

Re: California governor won't free Manson follower Van Houten

I remember hearing that prior to the murders, the members of the Mansom Family would do what they called "creepy crawling" where they'd silently break into a house while the occupants were asleep & do weird stuff &/or steal things without physically harming anyone & then, just leave.  Freaked me out!  ::::shudder::::

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

Questions for those who think she's not a threat...

If she got out of prison and moved in next door or across the street from you, would you really feel at ease with her living there? Wouldn't you be afraid to fall asleep at night?

And if she started inviting "friends" over, wouldn't you be a little worried about who those people are and what they're doing or what they're talking about?

I would want to know the person she is now, not who she was 50 years ago before making any judgements.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

I would want to know the person she is now, not who she was 50 years ago before making any judgements.

My questions are for those who think she's not a threat.

Thus the response to your question.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

It may have been 50 years since the murders but people need to remember that Manson still has like-minded followers.

You can still purchase Manson t-shirts today along with other items.

Van Houten, if she had been released and renounced Manson, could have been a target. 

She also could be an attraction for sick-minded individuals.

While those are not valid reasons to deny parole, it isn't simply a matter of releasing her and hoping all goes well.  There are still safety concerns for not only where she ends up living but concerns for her as well.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

It may have been 50 years since the murders but people need to remember that Manson still has like-minded followers.

You can still purchase Manson t-shirts today along with other items.

Van Houten, if she had been released and renounced Manson, could have been a target. 

She also could be an attraction for sick-minded individuals.

While those are not valid reasons to deny parole, it isn't simply a matter of releasing her and hoping all goes well.  There are still safety concerns for not only where she ends up living but concerns for her as well.

I would actually be more concerned for her well being than anything else.  There are extremists on both sides.

Honored Contributor

Again, whether she is a threat or not, she does not deserve freedom.  She should consider herself very lucky that she is still alive.  What she and the other Manson members did is unforgivable and no freedom should be afforded them.

Esteemed Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I lived in So. California for my first 60 years and I vividly remember this bloodbath.

Many years ago I had bought a copy of Just Cross Stitch magazine and in the letters was one from this "person" rerquesting a particular chart. Her address was clearly a prison address.

I could not believe a letter from this person was published!

I actually called the magazine's office and spoke to someone in the managing editor's office and reminded them EXACTLY who the letter writer was.

The woman I spoke to was horrified.

She is a killer and I hope she suffers and rots in prison. She showed no mercy, why should any be shown to her?

I also lived in SoCal for well over 60 years and I also vividly remember the slaughter of all those innocent people.  It was one of those incidents where I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the news hit.  I personally hope she and the others involved rot in he!! and can't believe anyone would think she is not a threat and should be released.  Those were brutal, heinous crimes.

@itsmetoo @lovemygrands...I was there too when it happened, I was horrified.  They indeed were brutal murders and I also believe she needs to spend the rest of her life in  prison.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

The summer of '69 will be etched in my brain forever.

The moon landing and all of those celebrations had just taken place, Woodstock was happening and the Manson murders plunged into the spotlight.

I hope she spends the rest of her days in jail.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

The summer of '69 will be etched in my brain forever.

The moon landing and all of those celebrations had just taken place, Woodstock was happening and the Manson murders plunged into the spotlight.

I hope she spends the rest of her days in jail.

And, a few months later, the Rolling Stones' free concert at Altamont Speedway drove a stake thru the heart of the 60's once & for all...........