Esteemed Contributor

Re: California governor won't free Manson follower Van Houten

How can anyone know with certainty that she is no longer a threat?

Some posters seem to provide that as a declaration of fact.

Maybe she isnt't, maybe she is.  Her age in and of itself doesn't mean she is not capable of a similar act.  I'm pretty sure a woman of her age has committed a violent act in the past.

Honored Contributor

I think it is outrageous and inhumane to subject victim's families to this agony over and over.  The laws should be changed.  When her death sentence was commuted due to some stupid voters in my state at that time, she was in for life and due to the Manson people's circumstances, there should be no parole hearings.  The victim's families are the people suffering the most, they are now also victims due to the parole hearings, not to mention the memories and loss they live with.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361, I also doubt that she poses a threat to society,  and I am right there with you about not letting emotion play a part in the whole legal process.

But if she was sentenced to life w/o parole, then she should serve her sentence unless new evidence should show that she did not commit the crime or that there was misconduct in the trial.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Leslie Van Houten already received a second chance.  The whole Manson crew were given the death sentence, which was later over turned.  Therefore, life in prison is as it should be.

Honored Contributor

I don't believe she is a threat but I think she should spend the rest of her life behind bars.  She participated in one of the most gruesome murders or our time, she doesn't deserve a "get out of jail card" just because she' old.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Goldengate8361, I also doubt that she poses a threat to society,  and I am right there with you about not letting emotion play a part in the whole legal process.

But if she was sentenced to life w/parole, then she should serve her sentence unless new evidence should show that she did not commit the crime or that there was misconduct in the trial.

@suzyQ3   I disagree with this.  Survivors have the right to read victim statements at trials and at parole hearings.  Their feelings most certainly do matter and should be taken into consideration.  Their statements are part of the legal process; if they were not, they would not be allowed.

Emotions by outsiders are one thing; and actually whether one agrees Van Houten should be released or not is...........an emotional statement.

It works both ways. 

My opinion, based on what I read, had to do with Van Houten still blaming Manson for what she did.  Therefore, the legal process does not consider her totally ready to be released. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

But if she was sentenced to life w/parole, then she should serve her sentence unless new evidence should show that she did not commit the crime or that there was misconduct in the trial.

@suzyQ3   I disagree with this.  Survivors have the right to read victim statements at trials and at parole hearings.  Their feelings most certainly do matter and should be taken into consideration.  Their statements are part of the legal process; if they were not, they would not be allowed.

Emotions by outsiders are one thing; and actually whether one agrees Van Houten should be released or not is...........an emotional statement.

It works both ways. 

My opinion, based on what I read, had to do with Van Houten still blaming Manson for what she did.  Therefore, the legal process does not consider her totally ready to be released. 

@Cakers3, emotion should not play a part at all when it comes to a decision as to guilt or innocence; that would make a travesty of our legal system.

Maybe they might play a small part in sentencing.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ And, no, the state would not be supporting her as it does while she is incarcerated. It is responsible to take an objective look at the situation and not be stuck in an emotional response.

Of course the state will be supporting her....she has never worked, so no Social Security or retirement income.  So she will be getting government aid to live in freedom.  Food stamps, subsidized housing, Medicaid.....

@Cakers3 I hadn’t read all the responses when I posted....you said what I was thinking much more succinctly!

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

It works both ways. 

@Cakers3, emotion should not play a part at all when it comes to a decision as to guilt or innocence; that would make a travesty of our legal system.

Maybe they might play a small part in sentencing.

@suzyQ3   That wasn't the point.  Nobody said that emotion should play a part in deciding guilt or innocence, although I think we all would be hard pressed to find a truly impartial jury anywhere. 

The point being argued is that people are being emotional and vindictive because they do not want Van Houten released. 

Two different issues.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I think she should remain in prison. I m not saying she should rot in jail, because I believe in justice and not revenge.

I know it isn't popular , but I believe prisoners should be treated humanely. To do otherwise makes us no better than they are.

Justice and revenge are not the same thing