Honored Contributor

Re: California closing maternity wards

Over the years many docs have stopped delivering babies and just are GYN's, the cost of the malpractice insurance is not affordable to them anymore. my doc stopped OB 15 years ago. 

Honored Contributor

I know of several hospitals here in MD who have never had maternity depts. 

Respected Contributor

Average OBGYN Salary

Working as an OBGYN nets a median salary of $354,885 nationwide, according to a 2021 report on compensation and production by the Medical Group Management Association (MGMA). When we look at the median, we’re seeing where 50 percent of salaries fall below this number and 50 percent sit above it. MGMA data showed that within the country, these doctors had a salary range of $240,000 in the 10th percentile to $540,632 in the 90th percentile.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Financial pressure & staff shortage.  Where are some of these women supposed to go?

Where they have gone in the past.  A hospital is for sick people.  Women that are preganant are not sick.  They go  to birth centers, or  home births with a midwife.  I had the option to go with a midwife, but I didn't in the end.  I had a normal non-medicated birth.  People get sick in hospitals all the time.   

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I was not aware that maternity "wards" still existed.

They re trying to get rid of it.  Actually they should.  There are birth centers they can go to with a midwife.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Mersha Not to mention having to live here and start a family of your own.

My family member is in health care here and he can't understand the shortage with the big raises in pay.

My answer to him was people have to live here and, as a young woman looking to have a family, I wouldn't. 

Many are chosing not to. Complications happen all the time, especially early on. Many women aren't willing to risk their future fertility based on the decision of a hospital attorney.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I was not aware that maternity "wards" still existed.

In my neck of the wood they do.  Not only do "wards" exist, they are pretty swanky....private rooms, extra bed for baby daddy, midwives on call as well as the delivery doctor...your choice etc.

The mothers here do not popout their babies the same day they go home or even the day after. Smiley Surprised  They perfer to stay 3 days, 4 days max for that extra TLC these "wards" give.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

Financial pressure & staff shortage.  Where are some of these women supposed to go?

Maybe they will end up going to birthing centers and midwives.

@lgfan   Birthing centers do not do c-sections. You would need to go to the hospital and pray the surgeon has experience. 

Respected Contributor

@songbird Some pregnant women are ill or at risk of illness. Among conditions that complicate pregnancy diabetes or hypertension. Eclampsia or preeclampsia are serious medical conditions. 

Respected Contributor

The closures are driven by high costs, inflation, labor shortages and declining birth rates.