Respected Contributor

California: Relief for Landlines

[ Edited ]

Yesterday the California Public Utilities Commission officially and finally rejected AT&T's request to drop landline service as a "Carrier of Last Resort."  As a designated Carrier of Last Resort,  AT&T is required to provide landlines.  Therefore,  this

service will continue for those who want it within the State.

The Commission says emails and letters from landline users in rural areas with spotty cellular service weighed heavily in the decision, along with thousands who attended Public hearings.

So it pays to contact your State Public Utilities Commission if this becomes an issue in your state.

Honored Contributor

Re: California: Relief for Landlines

Once a senator from Oklahoma said if he has 50 contacts on something it gets his attention.  You are right sir!  

Esteemed Contributor

I have landline and it works out okay for me.  I'd miss it if it were gone.  

Can't people find other things to do with their time and their whims?  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I cant live without my landline.  I am not  a cell phone lover to say the least

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@They Call Me MR Wilkes  It has been my experience here in Chicago that AT&T made a true landline, ie, a phone that plugs into a jack so expensive that I grudgingly switched to a VOIP since I don't want to rely solely on a cell phone.  Wonder what the cost of keeping a "landline" in CA will be???

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@They Call Me MR Wilkes  It has been my experience that AT&T made a true landline, ie, a phone that plugs into a jack so expensive that I grudgingly switched to a VOIP since I don't want to rely solely on a cell phone.  Wonder what the cost of keeping a "landline" in CA will be???

@kaydee50 

Probably way above the national average like most everything else in California.

I grew up there and was shocked when I saw costs of goods in the rest of the country.

Honored Contributor

Be the last place I'd live.

Regular Visitor

Wow..no one asked you to play mean girl with the snide remark . I love California and I have no idea why you feel the need to comment. I do not want you to live here in California. Happy you are living your best life where you live...I am doing the same.  

Respected Contributor

I have a cell phone but I wouldn't want to be without my landline. Doesn't hurt to have a back up!

Respected Contributor

We live in CA and have 2 landlines, one for personal and one for business.  It is no more expensive than a cell phone.  Cell phone service is not reliable in our area due to the landscape so we are happy to have both options.