Respected Contributor

Re: California Kidnapped Mother Update

PTSD is not fun.  I was mugged when I lived in California.  Went out one evening to get some groceries, drove back in my "secured" parking structure and parked my car.  As I started to get out of my car, there was a man crouched looking at me through the windows of the car next door.  I tried to get back in my car, he came around, swung me around and just started beating the heck out of my face.  Luckily my wallet flew out of my hand under my car (which they found later).  It seemed like an eternity.  I was screaming at the top of my lungs and people were trying to get in the secured parking structure to help me but couldn't.  Ended up with a broken bone in my face and still have problems hearing out of one ear.  I had two black eyes and goose eggs on my forehead.  They believed it was a homeless person.  After that happened when I got stressed at work my head would start swimming, my eyes couldn't focus and I would have to go home.  I would go home and fall asleep for 15 hours.  This went on for years until they finally realized I had PTSD and put me on meds.  This woman is in my thoughts.  It will affect her in ways she will never know. 

Esteemed Contributor

Noel, I hadn't heard about her being down to 87 lbs either...Crazy. I think its a miracle she wasn't murdered.

I cannot help but think how many times I walked my dog (by myself) down the dead end road by my house. I quit that practice because a neighbor got some vicious dogs and one got after my husband and myself.

It just seems it should be a given that we should all be able to walk or jog, but that just isn't the case.

I pray to God they catch everyone who was responsible for this.

Honored Contributor

It's such a horrible story, my heart breaks for this woman.

I have been walking for exercise most of my life, we do have a bike trail where I live now but I can't always get there. I walk on a busy suburban road, the police are often there to try to catch speeders. It leads to a state park, I stick to the main road through the park and do not go on the wooded trails.

We did have a female jogger in my state murdered in broad daylight this summer, the case remains unsolved. I can't and won't live my life in fear and  stop doing what I love because of it. But it sure does make you pause and think. I have a treadmill but I just love getting outside.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal, I am so very sorry.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal Words fail, I am so sorry that happened to you.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Oh @hoosieroriginal , how awful!  I am so sorry that happened to you.

Were you diagnosed with a concussion?  I ask because because that could have happened from blows to your face and you describe the same symptoms my daughter is going through from a recent car accident.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal, so sorry this happened to you.  This is my worst nightmare.

A few years ago, I read about a woman murdered when she drove her car into her garage.  (Inside the garage was her way to get into her house, like mine).  Apparently, when she let the door down, two men slid under the door before it went all the way down.  They killed her and stole her car which is how they connected them to the murder.  They killed her to get her car because they needed the parts from her particular model car.  They had trailed her home.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Hi @happycat

They must have barely fed her, or else she couldn't keep food down from the stress or pain.  The local reporter said this morning that she was only 100 lbs to begin with.  She lost 13 lbs over the 22 days of being held hostage.

Honored Contributor

I've read for years that a parking lot is one of the most unsafe places for a woman.  I won't park there when I'm alone.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely pays to keep your eyes OPEN and your wits about you.