Esteemed Contributor

Here we go again.  Went to get my hair done last Tuesday at my hairdressers backyard in one of the burning areas. Everything was fine .  No fire there yet and no threat at that time. My son and grandson same town, 20 miles from me.  Everything was fine.  Now they had to evacuate.  We went through this in 2017, skipped 2018 , then 2019.

I have lived here 44 years and nothing like this until 2017.  I feel so bad for those poor people that lost their homes . 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: California Fires

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 ...I didn't know that Colorado had fires worse than CA.   I have friends who live in Lakewood, CO who have never mentioned anything to me about fires.  Can you tell me what part of CO has these awful fires?  I think the fires in CA are worse now than when  I lived there from 1964 to 2004, and that is strictly from what I have been reading.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Kachina624 ...I didn't know that Colorado had fires worse than CA.   I have friends who live in Lakewood, CO who have never mentioned anything to me about fires.  Can you tell me what part of CO has these awful fires?  I think the firs in CA are worse now than when  I lived there from 1964 to 2004, and that is strictly from I have been reading.

The fires in Colorado are Pine Gulch, Grizzly Creek, Cameron Peak, Williams Fork, Lewistone and Thorpe area.  They are slowing down. The air quality is bad.

I heard that they have 600 fires in California that has burned one million acres. Very scary.

I read the Gulf Coast is having Tropical Storms. 

Esteemed Contributor

@elated ...thanks for information.  I have no idea where those places in CO are that you mentioned.  But then again, I don't know much about CO.  What is happening in CA is so frightening.  I remember one time when the fires were roaring in several different areas in the San Fernando Valley where we lived.  I got in my car to pick up my daughter at school and there was nothing but smoke all around me.  When I found her, her face was black from smoke.  I honestly thought the whole Valley was going to be destroyed.  With this horrible virus and fires you almost feel like the world is coming to an end.  Is there a message here????

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Kachina624 ...I didn't know that Colorado had fires worse than CA.   I have friends who live in Lakewood, CO who have never mentioned anything to me about fires.  Can you tell me what part of CO has these awful fires?  I think the fires in CA are worse now than when  I lived there from 1964 to 2004, and that is strictly from what I have been reading.

@Lindsays Grandma    The biggest fire is burning near Glenwood Springs which is in the Western part of the state.  The fires in Colorado can be huge but the don't create the loss of property like the California fires since they're in mostly uninhabited national forests.  

I feel climate change and drought conditions have contributed to terrible fires worldwide.  Consider the horrific conditions in Australia last winter with the loss of homes and wildlife.  @Dinaki  mentioned a fire burning in Greece.  We've got two burning North of Santa Fe threatening some pretty fancy homes.  Smoke in Albuquerque is bad today; I can't even see our mountain.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I just heard on TV the a contingent of firefighters + their trucks and equipment from several New Mexican cities left for California this morning to help fight fires.  I imagine other states are doing the same.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

It breaks our hearts here in the east to see the horror and devastation wreaked by fires in California and other places in the west.  We have loved our trips to the west, such beautiful places.  And the thought of losing people, homes, and wildlife

and entire towns...words cannot describe.

The firefighters are such heroes.  A young relative of my late mother’s cousin was born and educated in the east.  He moved to the west to fight fires, which he did for quite a few years.  Most sadly, he lost his life in a training accident a number of years ago.  He was a young American to be proud of, and I so worry about all those people fighting fires.

Valued Contributor

Re: California Fires

[ Edited ]

I just read that a looter burglarized a marked fire fighter's vehicle in Ca (Santa Cruz) stealing his wallet and drained his account.  Happened 18 hours ago according to story. I hope that person is discovered and promptly thrown in jail.  

Can you imagine that??  Someone putting their life on the line to save homes and lives has his money stolen from him right out of his bank account! 

Respected Contributor

@germanshepherdlove  Yes this happened at ‘our’ fire (Santa Cruz) really disgusting but Sherrif has said they will catch him.

We are still ‘evacuees’ living out of suitcases but house still standing thank goodness.

Our town’s water tanks burst so even though fire being now  13% contained we will not be allowed home until, of course, fires out but now also until water tanks repaired which, we are being told, could take up to 2 more weeks once they can get to them.

Ah well we did have some rain last night but forecasted dry storms for yesterday did not happen.  Red flag warning again today for dry storms - hope they do not come.

Four of ourfriends are now homeless homes burned all so sad.  My other pal living in tent so we are all over the place.  All tourists here asked to move and evacuees being moved into all holiday rentals so half of our town is around us.

The firemen are true heroes.  Where we live very steep canyons,all redwoods so they cannot dig in their fire trenches as they normally would to stop spread of fire but temporary ones in - danger from embers falling down from top of canyon onto our houses causing more fires is major problem.

this is so stressful, we are safe thank goodness but every hour we seem to get another problem happening.  Looters have been arrested - patrols are out.  But fire 13%contained today - hooray!

Valued Contributor

@mrssweetiebear wrote:

All our family, except for 1 step-daughter and grandson who now live in CO, live in NO CA.  They are in Napa, Sonoma, and Mendocino counties and I am sick with worry for all of them again.

I hope your family members are safe - did they have to evacuate as that is one of the areas that is now burning due to the lightning strikes??