Honored Contributor

Re: California Drought/Rain Danger

As a gardener, there are lots of factors that can influence tree growth from year to year. Rainfall is but one of those factors. An increase of CO2 from a volcanic eruption can spur tree growth. A tree roots' finding a richer pocket of nutrient rich soil can spur growth, the number of sunny days can affect growth. A tree that has roots that reach out to a nearby marshland with nearly unlimited food and water available can spur growth in one tree while a tree nearby that hasn't had it's roots reach that marshland will show slower growth. A tree that loses a competing tree to a storm will show faster growth as it's no longer competing for light and nutrients. It's a very inexact science. Plant growth has tons of variables. Too much rain can actually drown a tree and kill it.

As to anyone making claims for the whole state of California, California's a big state. If you move California to the East Coast you'd be talking about a region from the northern edge of Massachusetts all the way down to the southern tip of South Carolina. Weather varies a lot over that large a range. I live in Southern New Jersey and we've been up to our eyeballs in rainfall only to have the state in a drought emergency because the northern half of the state didn't get enough snow to fill the mountain reservoirs. We're a fraction the size of California.

People can manipulate data to show pretty much anything they want. Widespread drought is not uncommon. See the dustbowl days back in the thirties for an example. I believe that drought lasted eight years. Droughts happen, floods happen, they always have, they always will. People like to argue these days that "This is why this is happening and here's proof!" and they'll find some data that backs up their claim. The thing is there's lots of data that also disputes the same claim, but they ignore that data. I've been here 58 years now and I've seen everything in my life weather wise from really big snow/rain storms to periods of intense drought. 

The truth of the matter is, there is no pattern. There is no "why" as to what happens. You can find data to support just about anything, but that doesn't make it true. When Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans we were warned that would be the norm from now on. Major category five hurricanes just battering us every year due to climate change. How many category five storms have formed since then? Three. Which is pretty much the norm. Other than a stretch from 1938-1953 where there were none reported, cat 5 storms pop up whenever they poup. Sometimes there will be two in a year, other times you'll go a few years between. There is no dramatic difference in the frequency of the storms.

We need to de-politicize everything these days and go back to common sense and use our common sense. There doesn't have to be an absolutely right and an absolutely wrong to everything. In the real world there's a whole lot of grey and very little black and white. In fact the natural things that are black and white, like skunks for example,  tend to be a bit repellent. Talk to people who have been around longer than you. Ask them what the weather was like in the pat. They'll tell you tales of massive snowfalls, drenching rains, devastating droughts, intense heat, bitter cold, and every other variable imaginable and there's no real pattern to it. We all weren't living in a veritable garden of eden with perfect climate unitl a few decades ago. No. Weather always changes and it always has.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Every year we're on alert for mosquitoes because of WNF.  I take care to eliminate all standing water in my yard, for example bird baths.  Hopefully others do the same.

@ValuSkr

That's part of the problem, many people don't get rid of standing water on their property.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Feel free to contact the new stations @CrazyDaisy. Or you could go back and begin with reports from last year which gave the same 1200 year reference for drought measurement.

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  I am glad to see you did some reading about it but the validity of the measurement is widely accepted by experts in the field.

I am sure you are well aware that you do not get exact measurments thus you cannot speak in absolutes.  So to say that last year was the wettest in 1200 years is not a fact.  Ask the experts.

@CrazyDaisy

The wettest year ever wasn't my opinion, it was the opinion of experts as reported last night on  both ABC and CBS NEWS.  

Perhaps you could referrence these exprets.  I would like to see the news reports and the data they used to substiate your comment concerning the last 1200 years.  I really cannot see anyone being able to make that claim but am open to looking at the information you provide.

Well since I have no idea what station affiliates you watch and even National broadcasts will vary between time zones that would be very difficult.  You cannot find something that does not exist, not going on your wild goose chase.  If you would like to provide something to substantiate your statement I am open, if not it is a random comment, not a fact.

@CrazyDaisy

I told you which stations, additional information is your interest, you need to do your own homework, not assign it to someone else.

There are numerous online references To the 1200 year span for reference, it would be easy for you to look into.

My interest is in possible health and medical effects of climate change. I would of course be interested in what you find out.

I didn't make the statement.  If you want people to belive what you are saying you should be able to provide the information.  Cannot pass the buck on that one.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Feel free to contact the new stations @CrazyDaisy. Or you could go back and begin with reports from last year which gave the same 1200 year reference for drought measurement.

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  I am glad to see you did some reading about it but the validity of the measurement is widely accepted by experts in the field.

I am sure you are well aware that you do not get exact measurments thus you cannot speak in absolutes.  So to say that last year was the wettest in 1200 years is not a fact.  Ask the experts.

@CrazyDaisy

The wettest year ever wasn't my opinion, it was the opinion of experts as reported last night on  both ABC and CBS NEWS.  

Perhaps you could referrence these exprets.  I would like to see the news reports and the data they used to substiate your comment concerning the last 1200 years.  I really cannot see anyone being able to make that claim but am open to looking at the information you provide.

Well since I have no idea what station affiliates you watch and even National broadcasts will vary between time zones that would be very difficult.  You cannot find something that does not exist, not going on your wild goose chase.  If you would like to provide something to substantiate your statement I am open, if not it is a random comment, not a fact.

@CrazyDaisy

I told you which stations, additional information is your interest, you need to do your own homework, not assign it to someone else.

There are numerous online references To the 1200 year span for reference, it would be easy for you to look into.

My interest is in possible health and medical effects of climate change. I would of course be interested in what you find out.

I didn't make the statement.  If you want people to belive what you are saying you should be able to provide the information.  Cannot pass the buck on that one.

@CrazyDaisy

LOL, I'm not going to accept assignments from you. If you disagree with what the experts said, track them down yourself.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy

@CrazyDaisy

@CrazyDaisy

LOL, I'm not going to accept assignments from you. If you disagree with what the experts said, track them down yourself.  

I don't know what the experts are saying to agree or disagree with them concerning the 1200 year statement.  I only know what you are saying and that you refuse to provide the information.  That says all I need to know.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Noel

Here in So Ca, things are still rather dry.  Most places with water puddling are long since evaporated. 

A natural and effective way to deal with mosquitoes are BATS.  They enjoy eating them.  Put some bats in your areas and let them do their job. 

You mentioned 1,200 years.  People weren't recording the weather 1,200 years ago, terrain changes and weather patterns wouldn't have anything to do with what happens today versus 1,200 years ago.  I think someone mislead you on that. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Puzzle Piece

See message #8 for recording rainfall and drought over the past 1200 years and the method used world wide.

I would be happy to copy and paste science reports and photos but I am stuck with an iPad until the new computer arrives.

Re: "Love Roses wrote:

Hi Noel

Here in So Ca, things are still rather dry.  Most places with water puddling are long since evaporated. 

A natural and effective way to deal with mosquitoes are BATS.  They enjoy eating them.  Put some bats in your areas and let them do their job. 

You mentioned 1,200 years.  People weren't recording the weather 1,200 years ago, terrain changes and weather patterns wouldn't have anything to do with what happens today versus 1,200 years ago.  I think someone mislead you on that."

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Sitting out here in the middle of the desert, my mom died of West Nile Virus in 2003, the only person in the Albuquerque metro area to do so.  Their house backed onto a golf course.  The morning she died, an assistant to the mayor called and informed me that from now on, the city was going to make sure the water in the golf course ponds was aerated.  Seems as though the pump was broken in the one closet to mom and dad.  I wish we'd sued them. 

@Kachina624 that is awful! I am so sorry for you.  i know I was worried about my family, especially the older and younger ones. They had also warned about those with compromised or weakened immune systems. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I actually contracted West Nile virus back in 2005 in California.  I was the first known positive case in the County I lived in although they suspected more people probably had it, just that they weren't testing for it much back then. My concern has been the possible long term effects since it was fairly "new".

At that time, the doctors wouldn't even test me for it until I demanded to be tested and sure enough, I had it. Mosquitos in the Valley are and have always been terrible, even with all the nasty mosquito spraying they would do. I think the potential hazards from the chemicals used to spray for mosquitos is just as bad, if not worse, than the mosquitos. 

But the big One (earthquake) coming is the biggest concern right now, imo. Suppose to be sometime the end of the year, possibly September. Very scary.

@HappyDaze

OMG, what an awful experience.  I agree with you about the early spraying. I remember there were warnings to bring in outdoor choldren's toys so they would not be sprayed.

A newer approach has been to release sterilized mosquitoes.

I hope you haven't had long term effects.

@Noel7 yeah that spraying was awful and we kept all the dogs and us inside for days afterwards. I wouldn't let the dogs eat the grass or anything forever afterwards. It stunk really bad too. 

I have no idea if I have long-term effects since they aren't real sure what it causes and so many of the things they think could be potential issues are also associated with other things, even just general aging, so who knows what is causing what. Isn't it funny how it was such a big deal back then and then it just seems like it faded away, even though mosquitos were still around and people were still getting it? It was odd. 

I heard about the GM mosquitos they are releasing in Florida for testing. I am a little bit worried about that- we have no idea how that is going to work out in a large scale application. You know, it is like how they used to (and still sometimes do) introduce non-native predatory species in areas to rid them of certain crop pests only to find out the non-native species was worse than the actual crop pests and now have no way to eradicate the non-native species! BAD idea.

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece

No, I wasn't misled, it was basic high school science for California Susan and me 😄

Tree rings are used to record weather, I found a reference for its use in LA.

See CALIFORNIA DROUGHT MOST SEVERE IN 1,200 YEARS, STUDY SAYS

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Read fifth paragraph down for reference using tree rings.  Tree ring weather recording has been used reliably for a long time