Honored Contributor

Re: California Drought/Rain Danger

Sitting out here in the middle of the desert, my mom died of West Nile Virus in 2003, the only person in the Albuquerque metro area to do so.  Their house backed onto a golf course.  The morning she died, an assistant to the mayor called and informed me that from now on, the city was going to make sure the water in the golf course ponds was aerated.  Seems as though the pump was broken in the one closet to mom and dad.  I wish we'd sued them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I should add, this past year is now considered to be the wettest year ever recorded for this state, and that means 1,200 years.

@Noel7  California was recording meteorological data 1200 years ago? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7Here's something else that might help as I've unfortunately had experience with mosquitoes. 

When you see one in your residence flying around the celling that's a male trying to get out.

When you see one in your face or at face level that's a female wanting to bite. I've had 2 like that in my house over the past couple weeks and one was flying low enough for me to kill by clapping my hands over it. No fly swatter needed.  The other followed me into the bathroom and I smashed it with the palm of my hand into the mirror.  

I have no scientific evidence that high flying mosquitoes are males and low flying ones female but just a hunch.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I should add, this past year is now considered to be the wettest year ever recorded for this state, and that means 1,200 years.

@Noel7  California was recording meteorological data 1200 years ago? 

@Kachina624

See message number 8 on this topic for details.  FYI, that information was also included in numerous science summaries posted during the recent drought, proving we were experiencing the worst drought in 1200 years.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Sitting out here in the middle of the desert, my mom died of West Nile Virus in 2003, the only person in the Albuquerque metro area to do so.  Their house backed onto a golf course.  The morning she died, an assistant to the mayor called and informed me that from now on, the city was going to make sure the water in the golf course ponds was aerated.  Seems as though the pump was broken in the one closet to mom and dad.  I wish we'd sued them. 

@Kachina624

That's horrible, I wish you had sued them, too!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have since placed a handwritten sign on the front door for my SO to see that reads: Stop letting mosquitoes into the house!!  Smiley Mad

He laughed when he saw it but he hasn't taken it down because he knows he forgets and leaves the door open too long.  Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@Noel7Here's something else that might help as I've unfortunately had experience with mosquitoes. 

When you see one in your residence flying around the celling that's a male trying to get out.

When you see one in your face or at face level that's a female wanting to bite. I've had 2 like that in my house over the past couple weeks and one was flying low enough for me to kill by clapping my hands over it. No fly swatter needed.  The other followed me into the bathroom and I smashed it with the palm of my hand into the mirror.  

I have no scientific evidence that high flying mosquitoes are males and low flying ones female but just a hunch.  

Thanks for the hint @truffle.  I've read just the females bite and they are pregnant, looking for food.

We don't get them often but when we do, I can't sleep until I track them down.

Respected Contributor

Last night I dressed like a mummy thinking I was going to get bitten in my sleep. My SO said, you're going to wear that?? Smiley MadSmiley Mad

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

Last night I dressed like a mummy thinking I was going to get bitten in my sleep. My SO said, you're going to wear that?? Smiley MadSmiley Mad

@truffle

LOL!

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7

You are absolutely right about the Redwood trees' rings showing drought years.

The Redwoods are ancient trees, and I remember learning about this years ago.