Honored Contributor

California Drought/Rain Danger

[ Edited ]

Not long ago I read an article outlining health problems due to the effects of global warming, specifically viruses.

CBS just reported a scary example, a huge mosquito population carrying West Nile due to heavy rains over the last year.

During the drought, there weren't many areas with stagnant water, now they are everywhere and a mosquito population explosion is expected.

Last year, 400 CA people had WN and 19 died.  It could be much worse this year 😨

Honored Contributor

Re: California Drought/Rain Danger

I should add, this past year is now considered to be the wettest year ever recorded for this state, and that means 1,200 years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

I should add, this past year is now considered to be the wettest year ever recorded for this state, and that means 1,200 years.

@Noel7  I remember that it would always rain from at least October through April.  As a little girl, I would stand at the living room window and watch the sheets of rain on the windows, and the gutters high with swirling water, so in my memory it used to rain a lot more, but then I didn't measure it. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Noel7  I remember that it would always rain from at least October through April.  As a little girl, I would stand at the living room window and watch the sheets of rain on the wndows, and the gutters high with swirling water, so in my memory it used to rain a lot more, but then I didn't measure it. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl

You're right @mousiegirl.  That was our normal rain span.  Once in awhile it was longer, I remember one year, people were skiing in June.  I used to be fascinated with our average rain, which for years was 22" yearly.  We don't take the Chron anymore so I'll have to look up what it was last year.

Respected Contributor

The years 2005 and 2014 had over 800 cases of WNV. Of the 880 cases in 2005, 19 died while in 2014, 31 of 801 died. 

So far, the highest percentage of deaths to cases is under 7%. Still, I wouldn't want to catch it.

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

The years 2005 and 2014 had over 800 cases of WNV. Of the 880 cases in 2005, 19 died while in 2014, 31 of 801 died. 

So far, the highest percentage of deaths to cases is under 7%. Still, I wouldn't want to catch it.

It's so nice to see you @Sushismom ! 😄 Thank you for the stats. 

The Chron says we are at 139% of normal, year to date.   Normal for yearly was 22" for years.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Would be interested in knowing who has been recording and where  the records are for the State of California since the year 817.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Would be interested in knowing who has been recording and where  the records are for the State of California since the year 817.

@CrazyDaisy

It's basic science.  Rainfall and other weather phenomena have been measured for a very long time from tree rings.  The oldest tree in CA dates back twelve hundred years, I believe it is a redwood.

This form of measurement is used world wide to trace weather patterns. This is pretty basic weather science, if you are interested, there are numerous academic reports available online.

Respected Contributor

Only the female mosquito bites. The male has a feathery proboscis.

Male

Male Mosquito

Female

Female Mosquito.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @truffle

I really dislike mosquitoes 😣