Honored Contributor

Re: California Drought/Rain Danger

@september wrote:

One of the best parts of living in CA has been that there are so few mosquitos.  I haven't encountered any this year, yet.  I've also heard that there were going to be more fleas and ticks, and I did bring a tick into the house a few days ago.  It hadn't bit me...I found it on the bathroom floor, where I throw my outdoor clothing before I shower 

@Noel7.  Have you read the book "Lab Girl"?  It's about a geo botanist (think I got her title right).  I think you'd enjoy it.  

lol you must have never been to the Valley. The Valley is notorious for them in the summers. Mom has already been chewed up recently. poor mom! Smiley Happy I worked outside every single day when I lived there and often got bit my mosquitos...and always found ticks on me. Fortunately they weren't the kind that carry Lymes. 

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

One of the best parts of living in CA has been that there are so few mosquitos.  I haven't encountered any this year, yet.  I've also heard that there were going to be more fleas and ticks, and I did bring a tick into the house a few days ago.  It hadn't bit me...I found it on the bathroom floor, where I throw my outdoor clothing before I shower 

@Noel7.  Have you read the book "Lab Girl"?  It's about a geo botanist (think I got her title right).  I think you'd enjoy it.  

Hi @september

I haven't read it, I'll look for it in the library!  Tonight's news reiterated a warning that we're in for a mosquito invasion.  I'm with you that we usually get very few, so I hope that continues. 

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@september wrote:

lol you must have never been to the Valley. The Valley is notorious for them in the summers. Mom has already been chewed up recently. poor mom! Smiley Happy I worked outside every single day when I lived there and often got bit my mosquitos...and always found ticks on me. Fortunately they weren't the kind that carry Lymes. 

Right, @HappyDaze

We're Bay Area, very different. DH got a tick years ago but we usually don't get many bugs... at least not in this hub.  It's different in forest and mountain country.

Honored Contributor

I live right outside of Albuquerque.  It's very dry here;  average relative humidity here this time of year is 5-7%.  I've seen it at 0%.  I've lived in my house 18+ years and have never seen a flea, ****** roach, or have gotten a mosquito bite.  I sit outside a lot in the evenings watching the sunset reflection on the mountains.  On the rare occasion when we have a wet winter, we get a short invasion of ticks which lasts until it gets hot, then they disappear.  I'm about as bug-free as you can get.  After 30+ years in Houston, I feel I earned it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@september wrote:

@HappyDaze  I really haven't spent much time in the inland valleys.  I go from the coast to the Sierras by car, with the windows up and the AC on...don't care for very hot weather!

Valued Contributor

Sidsmom, what we have is indeed, crane flies.  It never crossed my mind that they were flies.  Don't know why we have so many.

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom

I had never seen them until I moved to the PNW from So Cal.  I thought they were the world's biggest mosquitoes at first.  We get them up here but they only hang around a couple of weeks.  

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@MaRina wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I should add, this past year is now considered to be the wettest year ever recorded for this state, and that means 1,200 years.

@Noel7 Hi Noel, I'm so tired of all the rain but I'm loving how green the grass is oh but the weeds are out of control. Sure hoping we don't have to many mosquitos, that would not be good.

Hi @MaRina 😀

Me, too! Enough rain, which also brings dreary days.  I am so ready for Spring produce and more people out and about.  

The Chron had a recent pic of our rolling hills, green again, that was nice!

@Noel7 fingers crossed it's a beautiful day in Half Moon Bay tomorrow Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@september  Oh yes there are mosquitos and ticks.  Of course, there are deer around here.  I do remember a time many moons ago when I didn't know what a tick was, but always had huge mosquito bites.  I have plucked ticks out of my neck, and my dogs and cats, have only dogs now.  I check for bumps daily on them.