Honored Contributor

Re: California Drought/Rain Danger

@susan in California wrote:

@Noel7

You are absolutely right about the Redwood trees' rings showing drought years.

The Redwoods are ancient trees, and I remember learning about this years ago.

Hi @Susan in California

I think it was part of high school science for us.  Maybe because our state has such ancient trees 🙂

Valued Contributor

We are in southern CA and get these large mosquito-like bugs.  I am not sure they ARE mosquitos.  They come in at night if you open the door even the slightest bit.  I don't have bites so not sure what they are. I DO know the cat loves to chase and eat them.

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

We are in southern CA and get these large mosquito-like bugs.  I am not sure they ARE mosquitos.  They come in at night if you open the door even the slightest bit.  I don't have bites so not sure what they are. I DO know the cat loves to chase and eat them.

😱😱😱😱😱

i don't know whst else they could be 😱  @chihuahuamom

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

@chihuahuamom

Are they crane flies?

Honored Contributor

I actually contracted West Nile virus back in 2005 in California.  I was the first known positive case in the County I lived in although they suspected more people probably had it, just that they weren't testing for it much back then. My concern has been the possible long term effects since it was fairly "new".

At that time, the doctors wouldn't even test me for it until I demanded to be tested and sure enough, I had it. Mosquitos in the Valley are and have always been terrible, even with all the nasty mosquito spraying they would do. I think the potential hazards from the chemicals used to spray for mosquitos is just as bad, if not worse, than the mosquitos. 

But the big One (earthquake) coming is the biggest concern right now, imo. Suppose to be sometime the end of the year, possibly September. Very scary.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I should add, this past year is now considered to be the wettest year ever recorded for this state, and that means 1,200 years.

@Noel7  I remember that it would always rain from at least October through April.  As a little girl, I would stand at the living room window and watch the sheets of rain on the windows, and the gutters high with swirling water, so in my memory it used to rain a lot more, but then I didn't measure it. Smiley Happy

I remember this too @mousiegirl. Twice it actually flooded the streets in our neighborhood to the point people were canoing down the road! I remember after those times, I'd always be scared when it rained alot because i was afraid it would flood again. That was no longer a concern around the time of high school. It has never rained regularly like that again. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I should add, this past year is now considered to be the wettest year ever recorded for this state, and that means 1,200 years.

Would be interested in knowing who has been recording and where  the records are for the State of California since the year 817.

@CrazyDaisy

It's basic science.  Rainfall and other weather phenomena have been measured for a very long time from tree rings.  The oldest tree in CA dates back twelve hundred years, I believe it is a redwood.

This form of measurement is used world wide to trace weather patterns. This is pretty basic weather science, if you are interested, there are numerous academic reports available online.

Tree rings are determined by many things, basic science, such has temperature, length of growing season, and many other factors not just rainfall.  Tree rings are not an exact measurement either, so it is impossible to say if there was more or less rainfall during a specific year vs another based on tree rings.  In addition the tree rings are limited to the conditions that pertain to that specific tree.  So it will be a stretch to say that the entire State of California experienced the same conditions.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy  I am glad to see you did some reading about it but the validity of the measurement is widely accepted by experts in the field.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Sitting out here in the middle of the desert, my mom died of West Nile Virus in 2003, the only person in the Albuquerque metro area to do so.  Their house backed onto a golf course.  The morning she died, an assistant to the mayor called and informed me that from now on, the city was going to make sure the water in the golf course ponds was aerated.  Seems as though the pump was broken in the one closet to mom and dad.  I wish we'd sued them. 

@Kachina624

How awful! So sorry about your Mom.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I actually contracted West Nile virus back in 2005 in California.  I was the first known positive case in the County I lived in although they suspected more people probably had it, just that they weren't testing for it much back then. My concern has been the possible long term effects since it was fairly "new".

At that time, the doctors wouldn't even test me for it until I demanded to be tested and sure enough, I had it. Mosquitos in the Valley are and have always been terrible, even with all the nasty mosquito spraying they would do. I think the potential hazards from the chemicals used to spray for mosquitos is just as bad, if not worse, than the mosquitos. 

But the big One (earthquake) coming is the biggest concern right now, imo. Suppose to be sometime the end of the year, possibly September. Very scary.

@HappyDaze

OMG, what an awful experience.  I agree with you about the early spraying. I remember there were warnings to bring in outdoor choldren's toys so they would not be sprayed.

A newer approach has been to release sterilized mosquitoes.

I hope you haven't had long term effects.