Honored Contributor

Re: Calendars and Christmas cards

I'm quite sure St. Jude's sold our name to other charities once we became monthy donors.

We'd given to them sporadically when solicited, but once the automatic deductions started, it opened the floodgates. 

We rec'd copious amounts of mailings, I couldn't keep up with it and let it pile up on a table.  People couldn't believe the amounts when they saw all the envelopes.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read all the responses, but preschools can use these things for craft projects, and at our local library, a women's group would cut the cards up (choosing a design out of the front) in the size of book marks, punch a hole in the top and tie a ribbon through. The bookmarks were then placed on the counter for the library patrons to take as needed for their reading.

Honored Contributor

This is slightly off-topic, but l was wondering:  If greeting cards and calendars are inexpensive enough that charities can send them to thousands of people, why does a decent greeting card cost between $4 and $5 at the store? It's just a folded piece of paper with an envelope! With tax and a stamp, it's up to $5 to $6 to send someone a card. This is one of my pet peeves.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

This is slightly off-topic, but l was wondering:  If greeting cards and calendars are inexpensive enough that charities can send them to thousands of people, why does a decent greeting card cost between $4 and $5 at the store? It's just a folded piece of paper with an envelope! With tax and a stamp, it's up to $5 to $6 to send someone a card. This is one of my pet peeves.

This is why I buy many of my greeting cards at Dollar Tree. They have 2 lines, one is 2@$1 and the upscale line is $1.  Hallmark also has a $.99 line.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

This is why I buy many of my greeting cards at Dollar Tree. They have 2 lines, one is 2@$1 and the upscale line is $1.  Hallmark also has a $.99 line.

@lulu2:  Thanks for the heads-up. Also, I recently discovered that Party City sells cards for $1. The problem is, there isn't one very near me. When l'm out of my area, and l see one of their stores, l will stock up!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

We don't get calenders from charities, but we do get Christmas cards from charities. We haven't gotten any yet, it's early.

I never use the cards, I buy my own. The only calender we do get is our newspapers. Its big and I love it. I tear out each month and put them in a magnet type calender holder on our fridge and we write all our appointments and birthdays on them so we remember, because we have a lot of appointments.

(I also keep a little appointment book in my handbag to carry with me to Doctors so I don't overbook appts. Yes I am old school and very organized. lol.).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

For years we received a lot of return address labels, bookmarkers and notepads.  The last 2 or 3 years it's been calendars and and cards, both general greeting then holiday cards. I've notice many cards from different organizations are similar.  I've always enjoyed choosing our family Christmas cards but decided rather than waste the ones we've received, I'll use them.

I really hate the fact that once you give to an organization they inundate you with requests for more and more.

Trusted Contributor

We never go more than a few days without receiving a free gift in the mail.  If you've ever used a Mass Card from a holy order, you know before long you'll be up to your knees in them.  Last year they started send pretty religious Christmas cards.  The Christmas cards from other organizations I give to our grandchildren.  They love the matching envelopes and stickers.  Calendars, my husband puts them in his reception area.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

I've eliminated 99.99999% of unwanted mail by registering several years ago with 2 free, safe, reputable sites. 

I highly recommend them!Smiley

~~~~~~

DMA Choice

link:  https://www.dmachoice.org/

and

Catalog Choice

link: https://www.catalogchoice.org/

~~~~~~

(And no worries...  they do not give your personal info to any other organization.)

Give it a try instead of dealing with all the mailings.Smiley

I recomend those highly,  like a poster upthread I went thru the same with my Mother's financial stuff

Honored Contributor

I recently registered with dmachoice.org and optoutprescreen.com, as both were recommended in my most recent issue of Consumer Reports.

Witht he second one, you have to print out a page and mail it in to make it permanent.  The only thing I didn't do on that one, as it wasn't required, was to input my SS#.  Hopefully, that doesn't impede their ability to opt me out.