Valued Contributor

Re: Calendars and Christmas cards

My elderly mother gets things from charities almost daily. I suspect she and my late father sent money regularly to these "charities". She gets return address labels, greeting cards, calendars, notepads etc etc etc. Additionally, she gets frequent requests for donations to veterans groups, cancer and leukemia societies, religious organizations and the like. Since I have started handling her finances, I have stopped the giving altogether because I really don't know which are worthy causes and which are scams. I makes me sick to think of all of the thousands of $ they gave over the years.

Honored Contributor

It seems like such a waste.

I remember the art teachers always wanted old cards for projects. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've eliminated 99.99999% of unwanted mail by registering several years ago with 2 free, safe, reputable sites. 

I highly recommend them!Smiley

~~~~~~

DMA Choice

link:  https://www.dmachoice.org/

and

Catalog Choice

link: https://www.catalogchoice.org/

~~~~~~

(And no worries...  they do not give your personal info to any other organization.)

Give it a try instead of dealing with all the mailings.Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

It sure does seem like a waste.  Too bad that money didn't go toward their charity.  It costs a LOT of dough to buy and ship those things out to, who knows how many, people.   

I know they get this stuff cheap and I know that they can ship bulk rate, but when you add up the volume, it comes to a huge dollar amount.  I might be reticent to donate to a charity that spends their charitable funds in that manner.

I started with one group I know is worthy.  But once I sent them a fairly large donation, the "presents" from their group never stopped.  They have continued for a few years, and I've often thought whatever I gave them had to have been eaten up in the continual freebies.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I get a lot of cards and calendars too. We use some of the cards. The calendars and cards we don't use I either give away or my students cut them up for various projects. I do wish they would use the money for their charity instead of spend it on these mailings, but I understand that is part of their fundraising efforts. I don't give money to every group that sends me freebies. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

There's one charity that I started to give to but its mailings got so frequent that I wrote them: if you keep this up, there will be no more donations.  I now get only a few per year from them.  Someone listened !  I guess money does talk ! ! 

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

This is so funny.  I'm up to 5 calendars, been getting them all summer long.  How odd I t hink every time I get one.  Some are very lovely but I don't need 5 or more.  And yes they are all from charities.  But no, we do not give to them.  I don't need anymore address labels either, into the shredder they go.

And I'm saving money on buying new calendars myself!

Honored Contributor

I get the labels .but don't get calenders,would like some.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I don't just get the cards at Christmas time - I get varities of cards all year as well as stationary and notepaper. I have a small filebox where I put those cards in a ziplock - separate ziplocks for birthday, get well, sympathy, thank you etc. Then when I need a card I can just go there instead of to the Hallmark store.I also use the notepaper by the phone and the stationary gets used as well.

Super Contributor

This week and last, I have been inundated with requests from various charities who have sent greeting cards, calendars, address labels, and even a dreamcatcher! I would go broke if I gave to all of them. I'd like to know which charity sold my name to add to the sucker lists. I now plan to only give to my favorite local charities that I know will value my privacy .
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson