Honored Contributor

Re: Calendars and Christmas cards

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions.  I'll wait a week more weeks as no doubt, more will come, then take them to a nearby pre-school.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

It sure does seem like a waste.  Too bad that money didn't go toward their charity.  It costs a LOT of dough to buy and ship those things out to, who knows how many, people.   

I know they get this stuff cheap and I know that they can ship bulk rate, but when you add up the volume, it comes to a huge dollar amount.  I might be reticent to donate to a charity that spends their charitable funds in that manner.

It actually is cost effective for the charity. For every $x they spend on postage and give-aways, they get $x + y .  So, they are spending money, but getting back more money - more money they might already get.

Lots of people donate because they feel guilty about getting something "free".  

(I took a fund raising course once, and that is the logic behind this.)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

My DH is in the Elks and they always give us cards and calenders every year. I have cut back on the amount of cards I send and no longer buy the very expensive ones I did when we worked. I use the free ones and if I need to buy a box at the hallmark store. 

It makes me sad that Christmas cards have gone the way of so many things in our modern world. They are each like a little present to me, I really enjoy getting them. Now a days since most women are employed and no longer at home a lot of things that used to be so nice have gone by the wayside due to much too busy lives.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for that information, Peaches.  

If the equation works, I get it.  I think I just have an over-simplified view that if ALL the money went to charity, all is good.  Smiley Happy   But if that 'all' is less than it can be, then I guess marketing needs to happen.

I kind of cringe at the manufacturing of guilt but, again, there I go with my over-simplified notion that if somebody wants to give they will give.  I do get that sometimes you need to prod them a bit, though, or maybe it's something of which a potential donor has no knowledge.

You can tell - I like it when things are more simple and to the point.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I for one appreciateand use the calendars and the cards.  I know there is a calendar on the phone, but I never use it.  I still love the tradition of sending a receiving cards (Christmas, birthday, etc). The cards I get I display in my home and they become part of the Christmas decorations and many of them I have kept through the years as have sentimental value. Handwritten cards just have that nice, personal, I'm thinking of you touch that doesn't come acrosee with e-greetings and emails.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to take my extra calendars to the office and leave them in the coffee area for anyone who wanted them.  They were usually gone in a couple of days. Some people asked if they could have more than one (for home and office and/or a child).  It didn't matter to me.  I was just happy they found a home.  I'm retired now but everyone still looks forward to the calendars.  I received an email the other day asking about them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cotton4me wrote:

I used to take my extra calendars to the office and leave them in the coffee area for anyone who wanted them.  They were usually gone in a couple of days. Some people asked if they could have more than one (for home and office and/or a child).  It didn't matter to me.  I was just happy they found a home.  I'm retired now but everyone still looks forward to the calendars.  I received an email the other day asking about them. 

When I was teaching I did the same thing.  Last year was the first year we started receiving them from every charity we've ever donated to.  They came in November and December.  This year they started coming in late spring and all through the summer.  Our mailman said there are stacks of them at the post office. 

Between calendars, greeting cards, Rosary beads, Mass cards and nickels with return address stickers, I'm about charitied out. (and then there's the endless telephone calls)

Respected Contributor

All types of card freebies get donated to thrift shops.  I use the address labels when they are correct.  I do not contribute to charities that I have not initiated.  Once I did and then the deluge started from all different types of charities.  No more.

Also, I do not contribute to unsolicited telephone fundraisers.  The amount of money taken by the organization calling on behalf of the  charity or fundraising recipient is unconscionable.  You would be shocked at the percentage.

As for the Christmas cards we get ( even though I havent't sent cards out since the late 70's ), I cut the front and attach it to the accumulated Chico white paper bags.  Add tissue papers, some colorful ribbons to the handles, and a small bell or ornament with the recipient's name: recycling and wrapping done at the same time.   (Tried to return pristine bags to the store, but it's illegal).

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Sometimes those goodies don't register for anything near what they bring in, but we need to check. I don't mind the calendars, etc. as much as I do those paid callers who earn their money asking for donations.  They cost far more than something mailed to you and far too many people have no idea they are not talking to someone treuly associated with the charity they

re asking you to support.

Frequent Contributor

You may want to contact your local Daughters of the American Revolution chapter to donate the Christmas cards.  Many chapters send cards to military veterans or to deployed service men and women.