Esteemed Contributor

Cake Boss star Buddy Valastro right hand impaled in freak accident

the accident happened while the chef was spending “quality time” with his family at the bowling alley in their home. “There was a malfunction with the bowling pinsetter, a common fix in the past, but it turned into a terrible accident.”

“After trying to release the bowling pin from the cage mechanism, his right hand became lodged and compressed inside the unit,” they continued. “Unable to remove his hand, he can see a 1-1/2″ metal rod slowly and repeatedly impale his hand three times between his ring finger and middle finger.”

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cake Boss star Buddy Valastro right hand impaled in freak accident

this wasn't the first time it malfunctioned?!  the first time it malfunctioned it would have been in the trash!!!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  That is horrible and must have been extremely painful.  Once a piece of equpment malfunctions, it should be tossed.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

With that kind of injury....I wonder if his right hand will ever be fully functional again...

Honored Contributor

I saw that on the news!! 

I knew his name and thought that was him.  Thanks for saying CAKE boss.  

Honored Contributor

They discussed it on The Talk yesterday and showed a pix of him with all his bandages. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nana59 wrote:

this wasn't the first time it malfunctioned?!  the first time it malfunctioned it would have been in the trash!!!  

It's apparently a pin setter.  You don't put something like that in the trash, you get it fixed.   By someone who knows how. 

That sounds horrible!  I would have been on the floor the first time.  Poor guy--hope they can fix it. 

Honored Contributor

😯..................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

That was a grisly accident.  I read his boys had to cut him out from the pinsetter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sure Buddy has successfully repaired a lot of bakery equipment, and am sure he and this pin setter have a history, and he reached inside to do whatever he usually does without thinking it might start up on its own.   

Most mechanics cut the power off the equipment before they work on it; adjust what they think is the problem, turn the power back on to check it and go from there.  Buddy was not prepared for such a quick release.  

Hopefully the hand will heal completely without nerve damage.