Contributor

Re: Caffeine-free soft drink shortage

I just had my last caffeine free diet Dr Pepper on Sunday.  Went to 3 stores on Monday and none in stock.  Well, that explains it! 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick wrote:

I drink caffeine-free diet Dr Pepper and am down to my last 4 cans.  I cannot find it anywhere.  I've checked H-E-B (large local Texas grocery stores), Lowe's Market (local Texas small grocery stores), Walmart, Dollar General, etc.  It is nowhere to be found.   

I finally asked and was told caffeine-free is not available due to "the crisis."  What the heck does caffeine-free have to do with the crisis?

I know, I know...this isn't important in the grand scheme of things, but my anxiety is high enough as it is, and they want me hopped up on caffeine? 

Oh...I did find a 12-pack on Amazon for almost $40.  Yeah....no.  

Smiley LOL

I never even knew that there was such a product!

Seriously, I didn't know that it even existed. 

I hardly ever drink diet Dr. Pepper for this reason, due to the caffeine content in it. The same goes for the other diet sodas with caffeine in them.

I'm really sensitive to even small amounts of caffeine in any foods or drinks, and the caffeine that is in them can affect me to where it will keep me awake.

I agree where the caffeine-free versions of sodas are not always that easy to find, though.

I would image that it also depends on the market too, what you're going to find?

Like I said, I haven't seen the diet caffeine-free Dr. Pepper in our area of Wisconsin. 

You can get the diet caffeine-free versions of diet Coke and diet Pepsi, but sometimes it's rather difficult to see them in the supermarkets.

The restaurants don't always have them either on their menu, except for the fast food restaurants that have those nice Coke machines where you can customize your drinks.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Toppers3  until last July, we lived in Sheboygan, Wisconsin and there was definitely caffeine-free diet Dr Pepper at Festval Foods.  We lived in lovely Wisconsin from 2005 to 2019 before retiring to beautiful Texas where our eldest lives.  When this caffeine-free crisis passes, the caffeine-free version should return.   

EDIT:  By the way, as I said above, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't really important.  My original post was intended to share my observation and see if this is nationwide.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

I drink a lot of the Kroger brand diet sodas.  A few weeks ago in my pick up order they didn't have "regular" diet cola....they substituted caffeine free!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't drink carbinated.  I get heart burn.  Although I love Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc.  I can't drink them.  So I'm stuck with Snapple, all flavors or diet.  They taste great,  but everyonce in a while....I get that little urge to drink a Coke... Sigh.  I just can't.

Oddly enough I've had expensive Champagne Brut...and that just leaves feeling good!

Trusted Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

@Toppers3  until last July, we lived in Sheboygan, Wisconsin and there was definitely caffeine-free diet Dr Pepper at Festval Foods.  We lived in lovely Wisconsin from 2005 to 2019 before retiring to beautiful Texas where our eldest lives.  When this caffeine-free crisis passes, the caffeine-free version should return.   

EDIT:  By the way, as I said above, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't really important.  My original post was intended to share my observation and see if this is nationwide.  

I'm glad that you were able to find it and to try it. Smiley Happy

If I saw it, I would have been buying it, too!

I went to their website to see what the packaging looks like. At least I know what to look for now.

Maybe the next time that we go to Woodmans, I can see if they have it since they tend to pretty much have everything there. 

Contributor

Part of the shortage is due to the fact that there is an aluminum shortage.  Since some of the recycling centers have been closed,  they can't get the cans they use for the drinks.  I have a family member that works in this business, and he was telling me this a few weeks ago. 

Hopefully, everything will get better soon.

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

I drink caffeine-free diet Dr Pepper and am down to my last 4 cans.  I cannot find it anywhere.  I've checked H-E-B (large local Texas grocery stores), Lowe's Market (local Texas small grocery stores), Walmart, Dollar General, etc.  It is nowhere to be found.   

I finally asked and was told caffeine-free is not available due to "the crisis."  What the heck does caffeine-free have to do with the crisis?

I know, I know...this isn't important in the grand scheme of things, but my anxiety is high enough as it is, and they want me hopped up on caffeine? 

Oh...I did find a 12-pack on Amazon for almost $40.  Yeah....no.  

Smiley LOL

@MamaWick 

Thats my DH’s favorite soda too! He’s disappointed he can’t find it. He drinking other things right now. 

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick ........... your Dr Pepper on Amazon must have been from a 3rd party seller.  If so please email Amazon customer service and report them for price gouging.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hey Tansy!  Smiley Happy  Nice seein' ya.

You scared me, so I went and grabbed a can out of my refrigerator.  On the Diet Squirt can it says 'caffeine-free'.  I'm wondering if you might be thinking about Mountain Dew.  That's a similar type drink but has a lot of caffeine.

Hope this finds you well!

Sorry about that, @chickenbutt😜 I am going to start buying diet Squirt now as well as my diet A&W.  

No problemo, my dear.  Smiley Happy  I hope you enjoy it.  It really is lovely.  They are so much better at diet soft drinks these days.  I remember the original 'Tab' and how positively dreadful that was.  It had that 'icky' taste that you don't get anymore.