Frequent Contributor

Re: Cable cord cutting stats

Does Hulu or the others have 

1)  Outlander

2)  Ray Donovan

3)  Game of Thrones

and many more that I cannot find on Hulu or Netflix or Amazon.  

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy.   OK.  Great!   That's what I didn't understand.  Thanks so much!

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45

Same here re:  AT&T cell phone service.    I love their customer service.  We've been with them since 2002 and never ever had one issue.  I could do commercials for them.   

Respected Contributor

@sundrops

That's exactly what we've had since mid October and are quite happy with it.    There is a bit of a learning curve with Hulu with Live TV but you finally get the hang of it.   We use Amazon Prime Video a lot and some Netflix.  I may cancel Netflix next month.   Undecided about that.  

We watch mainly news:  CNN and MSMBC and I watch sports.   There are a few series that we both watch:   Handmaid's Tale, The Man in the High Castle and Game of Thrones.  Works for us.   We get 70 channels with Hulu Live TV.   Don't get PBS but we only watch Poldark so we find other ways to watch it.   

I hope it works for you like it does for us.

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda

First, with Hulu live TV you can watch already aired episodes anytime you want.   Second, we do get a certain number of hours of recording to the cloud , if you prefer that.   So yes, you have two ways to watch things that have aired.

Respected Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

@tropics21 We cut our cable years ago.  We have high speed internet and a Roku.  Roku is my favorite platform but Apple TV and others are out there.

The Roku is the platform that provides access to a variety of channels.  Some of those channels are subscription channels and you must pay for them, like Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Others, like QVC, stream for free with a Roku.

We have an antennae and we get the local channels and the alphabet channels through that.  We also get a couple of PBS stations.  If you want to know what iis available in your area, just google it.  Lots of links will show you.   

Our antennae was $35 from Home Depot but Walmart has some rabbit ear ones for $10.  You could always unplug your cable and then plug in an antennae to see what channels you get.

Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC are not available to stream.  You'll need cable for those.  SKyNews is a British channel that we watch when major events happen.  That's on the Roku.  It's free.

Live sports are not available.  You'll need cable if that's important to you.

Everything I've read suggests that YouTube will usurp cable fairly soon.  The content length can be varied, the subject matter is varied, and there is immediate feedback from viewers in the comments.

Hulu will get you most current TV shows, if that's important to you.  

I watch YouTube, Netflix, and Prime almost exclusively, but more YouTube than anything.

The Roku is about a hundred bucks.  It's a one-time purchase.  Prime and Netflix are close to 10 bucks per month. You sign up for them online and then log in through the Roku.

I hope that helps clear things up a bit.  Best of luck!

Hulu offers live coverage for the news channels.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

That figure sounds low, we ditched Directv four years ago and never looked back

Contributor

A firm no from my household.  We tried SLING TV and hated it.  A 15 minute conversation with Comcast, got us exactly what we wanted at a price we are comfortable with.  Kudos to those who can 'cut the cable"!

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@sunshine45

Same here re:  AT&T cell phone service.    I love their customer service.  We've been with them since 2002 and never ever had one issue.  I could do commercials for them.   

@Bridgegal @sunshine45

I had AT&T mobile WiFi....their customer service was great.  One time I called to ask a simple question about a feaure and  after he answered my question, he informed me of new pricing tiers, and actually said Let me find a better option and its cheaper and he actually lowered my rate.  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy

No chance of that happening any time soon for me. I had Netfix, but Amazon Prime Free Movies is plenty for me. Streaming my New York Rangers hockey games ain't here yet, and I have doubts it ever will in my lifetime. 

I pay Dish Network for content I enjoy, and a few odd ones thrown in too. That is my source of passively entertaining myself, and also my wife. Ice skating and e exercising fill out the rest. Then there is caring for our multiple feline family and our 1 canine, which in itself is entertaining.

Then in taking care of our many outdoor critters, especially in this -20° weather, is another form or passion, for both my wife and myself.

I will stay connected to Dish Network until much more and better options come down the pike.

Take care now 

hckynut

hckynut(john)