Super Contributor

Re: ••• Cable Networks Speeding Up Your Favorite Shows To Squeeze In More Ads •••

My cable bill has just gone up again. I'd like to just have it shut off all together, but I watch TV all night when I can't sleep. (Which is nearly every night)

Valued Contributor

Re: ••• Cable Networks Speeding Up Your Favorite Shows To Squeeze In More Ads •••

I find myself avoiding channels that have commercials all the time. I don't mind if it is between shows but I hate being interrupted during a show.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 circles said:

All the ads have made watching any programming annoying....so much interrupting takes the fun of anything I tune into...and they are so LOUD...I have to keep my remote next to me to turn it down when the ads come on and then back up to hear what I tuned in for...

Hi circles, Smiley Happy

I agree. The differences in the volume, between the show and the commercials, are very noticeable.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Super Contributor

This is why I rarely watch my favorite shows in real time. I record shows and fast forward through the commercials. There are so many commercials, it is beyond irritating. My DVR is the best thing I ever bought.

Honored Contributor

I've noticed on most network shows, it's 10 and 10. Ten minutes of show, ten minutes of commercials. That's the worst, some are a little better. I give props to CNN, when there is important news, they ditch the commercials altogether.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Years ago I noticed that syndicated shows had scenes cut to allow for more ads. M*A*S*H is one of my favorite shows and it has been chopped up for syndication, especially the little moments at the end that were not important to the storyline. I also noticed, back in the 90s, that intros were shortened, so this is nothing new.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Ford1224 said:

I've noticed on most network shows, it's 10 and 10. Ten minutes of show, ten minutes of commercials. That's the worst, some are a little better. I give props to CNN, when there is important news, they ditch the commercials altogether.

I was selling cable advertising back on 9/11.

All the cable news networks stopped running commercials. CNN had no commercials for almost a week.

The irony was that when their ratings were the highest ever, they had no revenue from commercials.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/4/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:

They've been doing this for many years, noticed it a long time ago when I would watch a program - you could tell it had been sped up. Quit watching. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Yup, donkeys years. Plus, I was watching some program yesterday evening and their commercial breaks in this one hour show were 5 minutes in length. Not going there any more!

Esteemed Contributor

One of the worst offenders is ABS's Family channel when they show Harry Potter movies. Movie runs from 8-11: an entire 3 hours and we know darn well the television broadcast of those movies contains at least one hour of commercials.

Honored Contributor

The WORST offender are local TV news programs.

Inventory in prime time is strictly controlled by the network.

The local station controls all the time in their newscasts. I have seen breaks of 7 :30 commercials IN A ROW...before they get back to the ""news.""

Sports used to be 3 minute blocks - now it's 90 seconds.

More room to make money from commercials!