Esteemed Contributor

Re: CVS or Walgreens, Which do you prefer?

CVS is closer if my doctor calls in for medicine after seeing him I did not like when the kept calling dh and reminding him to pick up for he did not need th em that soon. I call up my mail order one and let them deliver them.

Esteemed Contributor

CVS is fairly new in this area. I have used the same Walgreens for over thirty years. It is less than five minutes from my house and 24/7 availability. I know the pharmacist very well and trust the pharmacy.  They are a bit expensive on some things, but do have great sales and rewards card!  Just had a really good sale on batteries and soft drinks!!

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Neither, both very overpriced compared to Walmart.

@Shelbelle

ITA ....   Years ago, when I read that Walmart is the largest worldwide retailer and has the best purchasing power for prescription drugs, i started going there and never looked back.   I can't even remember the last time I actually bought something in a CVS, Walgreens ... or Rite Aid.   By comparison to Walmart, they all seem terribly overpriced.

Regular Contributor

I have both a Walgreen's and a CVS on opposite ends of my block where I live. I chose Walgreen's. No real reason though.

Valued Contributor

The CVS has a branch in my town and I have been going there for 20 years.  They know me, they help me and, when they have sales, they are good sales.

Walgreens is on a main highway and the personnel seems to be changing every week.  They don't extend personal service at all.

In fact, rather than use mail service for my prescriptions, I pay more to use CVS.  It is well worth it.

Honored Contributor

CVS is sterile & cookie-cutter.  Everyone is laid out the same.

Walgreens has a 'kitchie' feel to it.  Almost a 'five & dime' feel.

Respected Contributor

My local CVS and Walgreens are across the street from each other.  I get all my scripts at CVS.  But I like Walgreens for their sales on regular merchandise like cereal, pet food, vitamins, etc. 

Honored Contributor

LOVE CVS with their rewards card/ECB's/deals...

I find Walgreens to be very frustrating using their Balance Rewards...so much more work to get the deals. I only go there on rare occassions. Most of their sales I can price match at WM, so no loss whatsoever and saves me lots of time. I emptied out my BR acct a few months ago and got the money I earned. I make sure if I get anything at Walgreens, that it doesn't require earning points so I don't have to bother about having an acct balance add up. I especially don't like knowing that if you don't use your Balance rewards acct after so much time has past, you will lose your earned points/$$$. That would be very upsetting if time has passed...life gets in the way and I don't go to Walgreens after a certain amount of time and either remove points earned or add to my acct...

With CVS, you get your earned $ immediately through ECB's, so even though they also have expiration dates, they are much easier to keep track of and use.

Respected Contributor

Love Walgreens. I like that I can get help at any Walgreens for my meds when traveling, and the stores in my area are clean, well stocked, and have helpful staff. I used to get prescriptions from Wal-Mart and they would always run out of common meds or mess up the script. And the long lines were horrid. I have not seen CVS as well stocked but have nothing negative to say because I don't shop there much.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Walgreens is cleaner and has better deals/sales overall.  They are side by side, but the Walgreens is much easier to get in and out.