Esteemed Contributor

@godi wrote:

I was surprised that the CVS stores in California sell alcohol.  They won't sell cigarettes but they will sell alcohol?  Makes no sense to me. 

I am missing the connection between cigs and alcohol. Explain please.

FYI------I quit smoking in 1967 and drinking  over 30 years ago.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, smoking doesn't affect just the smoker.  Second hand smoke also kills, and it damages the children growing up in the house of a smoker.

Good for CVS.  Smoking has dropped in recent times, and not selling cigarettes sends a message.  So does not allowing smoking in public places.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@godi wrote:

I was surprised that the CVS stores in California sell alcohol.  They won't sell cigarettes but they will sell alcohol?  Makes no sense to me. 

I am missing the connection between cigs and alcohol. Explain please.

FYI------I quit smoking in 1967 and drinking  over 30 years ago.

There is no relationship....

Esteemed Contributor

There's a CVS here but I don't go in there; they're more expensive on general items........I don't know about their pharmacy.

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Unfortunately, smoking doesn't affect just the smoker.  Second hand smoke also kills, and it damages the children growing up in the house of a smoker.

Good for CVS.  Smoking has dropped in recent times, and not selling cigarettes sends a message.  So does not allowing smoking in public places.

I will agree with that; the only time alcohol affects others around the person drinking the alcohol is if that person decides to get into a 2 Ton vehicle and drive or maybe decides to use their fists or words against someone.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Oh give me a break. I'm not advocating smoking and certainly not around children but if anyone truly believes that alcohol doesn't affect anyone but the one drinking you are in serious denial. Besides drunk driving ( often with kids in the car) children, parents, and spouses who deal with drinking loved ones are severely impacted if not damaged for life. How many people smoke too many cigarettes one night and make the decision to sleep with someone other than their spouse, probably unprotected?  How many parents smoke too many cigarettes and become belligerent monsters who beat on their spouse and children?  How many kids are molested in their beds late at night by an uncle, parent, or other relative because the molester smoked too many cigarettes? Not saying that this horrible behavior is directly related to drinking, but certainly when that person is impaired, judgement is further skewed. How many parents can't get their kids up in the morning, feed them breakfast and get them to school because they smoked too many cigarettes the night before?  And then you have the soccer moms that "don't have a drinking problem" but down 3-4 glasses of wine every night in front of their kids and act like morons, embarrassing themselves and others. And on and on. Sorry, give me a smoking parent any day. Alcohol is a DRUG if you want to admit it or not and alcohol addiction is a horrible thing just like any other drug addiction. And if you are a binge drinker, you have a drinking problem. Why everyone wants to continue to bash smokers while looking the other way with drinkers is beyond me.  And lung cancer is on the rise among NON smokers, while smoking rates have steadily decreased. Pretty soon they are going to have to come up with someone to blame besides the evil, disgusting, vile smokers. 

Esteemed Contributor

Um, what??????

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

If umm, what? Is directed to my post, it is in response to the statement that drinking only affects the one drinking except in the case of drunk driving. Prior to that, there was conversation as to why you would not sell cigarettes and still sell alcohol. If my response elicits "um, what?" After those prior posts, maybe someone can explain it to you. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CVS Cigarette Ban

[ Edited ]

Um, I will um, definitely, um, need an, um interpreter to um, read the um run on, um sentence post without any um factual um, merit.

Have an um good night

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

Clearly biased smoker aside, smoking=proven to cause cancer and emphysema, from which, ultimately, no one recovers. Alcohol *may* cause death and disease, *If* consumed in excess. It *may* cause the death of others in accidents. But it's not a given. It's not like everyone who drinks alcohol will die of alcoholism or even be an alcoholic, kill someone or destroy a family. The cause/effect is *much* higher for smokers.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all