Respected Contributor

Alcohol is responsible for 1 in every 10 deaths, ages 20-64. Not such a good statistic if you ask me. 

Honored Contributor

Courtesy of the Am Cancer Society:

In the United States, tobacco use is responsible for nearly 1 in 5 deaths; this equals about 480,000 early deaths each year. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014; and US Surgeon General Report 2014)

Tobacco use accounts for at least 30% of all cancer deaths, causing 87% of lung cancer deaths in men, and 70% of lung cancer deaths in women. (Source: Cancer Facts & Figures 2014)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: CVS Cigarette Ban

[ Edited ]

No. I'm not surprised.  As the report indicated, not only are they losing out on impulse sales, but they're probably also losing some customers who might've gone in to pick up a pack of cigarettes along with other 'drug store' items, who now go to one of the competitors. Several competitors not only continue to sell cigarettes, but I'm told in some cases have lowered the price for some brands. It's a free market. Everybody gets to do what they want to do, but there are always consequences and repercussions.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Instead of not selling cigarettes being the cause, I would say it's because the over-saturation of CVS/convenience stores.  

Heavens...here in DFW, you throw a stick & hit 3 CVS stores.  

Every. Single. Corner.  

Then add Walgreens across the street.  

Every. Single. Corner.

I honestly don't see how any of these stores stay in business. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Instead of not selling cigarettes being the cause, I would say it's because the over-saturation of CVS/convenience stores.  

Every. Single. Corner.  

Every. Single. Corner.

So true.  Same in the DC area.  A CVS on every corner and they keep opening more of them. Now I hear where they're taking over Target's pharmacy operations. Sort of a bummer. I've found the local Target pharmcy, despite more limited hours, to be helfpful and pretty well managed.  Meanwhile, my local CVS pharmacy seems to have more business than they know what to do with. Their CS isn't as good, and it often seems as though the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I've been repeatedly asked for the same information that should, by now, be in their 'system', whatever their system might be.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Yes, you are totally correct. Again, I'm not advocating smoking, only pointing out the prejudice against smoking vs alcohol. Obviously I'm not talking about anyone that drinks responsibly. My "rant" against alcohol is in regard to those who are quick to jump on the bandwagon against smokers, especially in regards to children, I.e., secondhand smoke. Unfortunately there are no statistics that I know of on the damaging emotional and sociological affects on children of parents who are moderate to heavy drinkers. I have worked in the school system and witnessed it firsthand and it is truly heartbreaking. I was raised in a household by two parents who didn't smoke or drink, so this has nothing to do with my upbringing. I have been exposed to many devastating situations over the years due to alcohol abuse, and met many people who are still dealing with deep, emotional scars and were abused by those who should have loved and protected them. I think it is wrong to vilify smokers as many do, and wrong that some people think they have the right to dictate what an adult can buy and where, if it is legal. If that's a rant, so be it, As a side note, I'm using an iPad and paragraphs still are not working, it continues to run them together.

Respected Contributor

Also, replying to a post by iPad still isn't working either. I was replying to Moonchild.

Honored Contributor

Re: CVS Cigarette Ban

[ Edited ]

P.S...they fixed the paragraph issue couple months ago.

I'm

Also

On

An

iPad.

Smiley Happy

And 'quoting' someone...click on reply, then quote.  Or tag them by using the ampersand and their name, like @Reba055

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Every. Single. Corner.  

Every. Single. Corner.

So true.  Same in the DC area.  A CVS on every corner and they keep opening more of them. Now I hear where they're taking over Target's pharmacy operations. Sort of a bummer. I've found the local Target pharmcy, despite more limited hours, to be helfpful and pretty well managed.  Meanwhile, my local CVS pharmacy seems to have more business than they know what to do with. Their CS isn't as good, and it often seems as though the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I've been repeatedly asked for the same information that should, by now, be in their 'system', whatever their system might be.

I have had the exact experience. One on every block but long lines, no one answering the phone, and left hand/right hand issues. But I don't blame the employees. I learned a long time ago that corporate was pressuring managers to cut costs and the easiest way was to cut staff.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

P.S...they fixed the paragraph issue couple months ago.

I'm

Also

On

An

iPad.

Smiley Happy

And 'quoting' someone...click on reply, then quote.  Or tag them by using the ampersand and their name, like @Reba055

Thank you for the info on quoting, I wasn't doing that right. The paragraph worked for me for awhile after the fix, then stopped working again. 

I saw someone recently complaining about it again from her iPad so I just assumed it was still not working.  

Appreciate the help!