Honored Contributor

CVS Cigarette Ban

[ Edited ]

Has apparently hurt their sales.  Is anyone surprised?

http://media.wrko.com/a/108022310/matt-egan-cnnmoney-cvs-8-5-15.htm

Respected Contributor

Re: CVS Cigarette Ban

[ Edited ]

Im not surprised and I doubt CVS is either

I thought they said in their public

comments when they did it that they 

knew it might impact overall sales?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong though.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Valued Contributor

A friend works part-time at CVS and was thrilled to be able to work the registers without that awful smell around her.

Honored Contributor

Well, it was very brave of them to do that.  They took a stand for something they believe in.  Usually, it is all about the profit.  So, good for them.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I was surprised that the CVS stores in California sell alcohol.  They won't sell cigarettes but they will sell alcohol?  Makes no sense to me. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Yup, CVS here in SC also sell alcohol. Makes no sense to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@godi wrote:

I was surprised that the CVS stores in California sell alcohol.  They won't sell cigarettes but they will sell alcohol?  Makes no sense to me. 

Ours sell both too but totally different products.  Cigarette smoking has been linked to cancer and alcohol isn't only when abused is it a danger.  Every person who purchases alcohol isn't going to abuse it but every person who smokes is at risk for cancer.  Also, should they not fill prescriptions?  Many medications are addictive but everyone who purchases a controlled substance will not abuse it.  Alcohol is a drug; CVS is a drug store 

Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@godi wrote:

Ours sell both too but totally different products.  Cigarette smoking has been linked to cancer and alcohol isn't only when abused is it a danger.  Every person who purchases alcohol isn't going to abuse it but every person who smokes is at risk for cancer.  Also, should they not fill prescriptions?  Many medications are addictive but everyone who purchases a controlled substance will not abuse it.  Alcohol is a drug; CVS is a drug store 

I agree. And second hand smoke is a health hazard to nonsmokers. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

I hope CVS can continue to ban cigarette sales and find profit elsewhere. 

I shop my local CVS stores frequently and I can't even tell you whether they all sell alcohol, but they probably do assuming it's legal.  I just know that's not what I buy there nor do I remember seeing anyone at the registers paying for any, not even beer. 

Honored Contributor

I hope other stores follow suit and decide not to cell cigarettes.