Honored Contributor

CUSTOMERS WHO BOUGHT THIS ALSO.....

When I look at an item online, a message comes across the bottom of the page about “customers who bought this, also bought.....” and pics of 6-7 unrelated items are lined up. It also shows several more items in the same line (especially jewelry).

What a desperate attempt to sell additional merchandise.

Respected Contributor

Re: CUSTOMERS WHO BOUGHT THIS ALSO.....

I've seen this on any number of websites I've shopped from.

Why does it bother people that a SHOPPING CHANNEL/WEBSITE (which is in business to make money-gasp!) tries to sell things?

Trusted Contributor

Yes, it’s shocking and irksome that a website whose sole purpose is to sell merchandise would “desperately” use some means to try to sell even more merchandise.  Even stuff unrelated to anything you’ve browsed recently. Just to sell more!

A real head scratcher...

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I have noticed this too but it happens everywhere I shop now.I can be on a site looking at something and then low and behold if those items don't follow all of my later browsing.

Valued Contributor

B & M stores do that as well. Why do you think there is all that stuff by the line where you wait to check out? Last minute candy bar maybe? Did you forget a magazine? Need lip balm? 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Shanus I have noticed this too but it happens everywhere I shop now.I can be on a site looking at something and then low and behold if those items don't follow all of my later browsing.

@dex  I think it’s an issue of privacy and assumption. Yes, I’ve seen it on other sites, as well, but pointing it out here since this is a Q forum.

Respected Contributor

How could it be an issue of privacy when no one knows who bought those items or even if it’s true!!??    It can be helpful because sometimes it’s similar items which might interest you. Also you may have similar tastes to the people who bought additional items so it could be interesting to know about. This is a company selling stuff! Of course they are going to promote their merchandise.

Trusted Contributor

I actually like it.  Shows similar items.  Good business if you ask me, but others may feel different and thats fine.  I actually have purchased a few times from that area they show.

Honored Contributor

Thumbs up from me too.  Sometimes I'll find what I am looking for in a better version that pops up as "similar."  I don't mind it.

Now those ads that follow you when you leave the site are a whole different issue...Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

It's just expected.  I'm not shocked nor offended by it.

We are on a shopping site, after all...