Esteemed Contributor

Re: CUSTOMER REVIEWS NEGATIVE "LIKE GRANDMA"OFFENSIVE

I will not be reporting those types of reviews.

If I thought that a clothing item looked dated or matronly those are the words that I would use, but everyone does not write reviews in the same manner.

I don't understand why you immediately assumed that if someone wrote a review using the "grandma" term that they automatically must dislike their grandmother. 

I personally loved my grandmother very much. i have no desire to ever dress like her. :-)

No big deal. 

Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@catnip714 

Really? I remember a world where humans coexisted without every other word(s) offending them!  Never thought I would find a "good morning", offensive. But now it has go be "morning", and my response is "yes it is". 

Need a constant reminder of what I am allowed to say? Ain't happening.

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn   Along those same lines, I remember years ago at my job I was talking to an elderly man on the phone.  When the call was about to be done, I told him to have a good day.  He curmudgeonly replied back " don't tell me what to do! ". Can't win....lol

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

wasn't because he was old was because he was a man. ROFL

Respected Contributor

Out of style, old- fashioned, dated...plenty of ways to describe something without disparaging grandma.

Valued Contributor

What about Hot, Messy Aunts?  Do they stink?

Valued Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

Body odor naturally changes as you age. For older people, this change in smell is likely due to an increase in levels of a compound called 2-nonenal. No matter the cause, there’s no reason to run from these changes. Research suggests that, while people recognize older adults as smelling different, many do not consider the smell offensive.

The “old people smell” is not only known in our country but around the world. In fact, the Japanese have created a word to describe the unique scent, “kareishu.” Not only have they created a word to describe it, but companies have created products tailored towards hampering or covering the scent up entirely. The Shiseido Group, a Japanese cosmetics company, has created a perfume that specifically targets and neutralizes the smell given off by nonenal (component for a body odor in older people).

As we get older. there is an actual change in our body chemistry. Starting at about age 40, human bodies begin to subtly change the way that omega-7 unsaturated fatty acids on the skin are degraded. As these acids are exposed to oxygen in the air, the change creates a smell, called “nonenal” after the 2-nonenal molecule that is produced in the breakdown process.

The current hypothesized reasoning behind nonenal production is hormonal imbalances. These imbalances occur during aging and often result in more lipid acid, a fatty acid produced in our skin. As our skin matures, its natural antioxidant protection declines. This decline results in greater oxidation of lipid acid. When lipid acid is oxidized, the chemical compound nonenal is produced, giving off the “old people smell” that many of us are familiar with.

Exactly why this happens is still a mystery.

Good grief, you need help or maybe a bath and a stonger deoderant.

I'm dead. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Honored Contributor

My favorite great aunt smelled like Ivory Soap.  Can honestly say I don't like the smell of Ivory soap, but it smelled so good on her.  Fresh and cleansed.

I know when she was up there in years she wasn't able to step over the tub every night.  But she did bathe.  And I hope when I'm 93, I'm still able to get up from a bathtub without any assistance!  Cuz I don't know if I want my husband to see me at 93 and especially after soaking in a tub.

Smells come from people from all ages.  I won't get into specifics.....

Have you ever gotten a whiff of someone (could be a young person!) who drank too much hard liquor the night before and they have the most putrid smell about them?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

I feel sorry for the mods who have to read this ****

@SharkE    LOLLOLLOL! I know. I think I will scrub with lysol tonight. I never notice a special odor around older people. My mom live to be 981/2 and never a smelly moment.

Esteemed Contributor

No doubt it was a statement meant to say matronly.  

As in any forum people express opinions and there will alway be someone who disagrees.  

I select clothes by style and color that best fits ME. I know what looks best and what others say about what I wear, usually a compliment or two. 

I have been checking out QVC and HSN for years and then  seem to find like fashions for much less at other places. Bottom line no matter the style I will not overpay. I have what I call a PRICE POINT LINE. 

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

My favorite great aunt smelled like Ivory Soap.  Can honestly say I don't like the smell of Ivory soap, but it smelled so good on her.  Fresh and cleansed.

I know when she was up there in years she wasn't able to step over the tub every night.  But she did bathe.  And I hope when I'm 93, I'm still able to get up from a bathtub without any assistance!  Cuz I don't know if I want my husband to see me at 93 and especially after soaking in a tub.

Smells come from people from all ages.  I won't get into specifics.....

Have you ever gotten a whiff of someone (could be a young person!) who drank too much hard liquor the night before and they have the most putrid smell about them?

@Lucky Charm   I actually like the scent of Ivory Soap.....99.44% pure.  Lol. The only thing I remember people saying old people smell like is mothballs.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread