@SharkE wrote:

I feel sorry for the mods who have to read this ****

Yes.....No kidding 

Respected Contributor

Re: CUSTOMER REVIEWS NEGATIVE "LIKE GRANDMA"OFFENSIVE

@SharkE wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:
This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read!

You can only laugh about these threads.  

I can top this stupid post somebody wanted me to quit using my 'shark' avatar because it made her dizzy ROFLMAO Mods turned a blind eye you can't tell somebody what avatar to use who died and left you Queen Elizabeth.

I remember that thread. Some even got annoyed you DIDN'T change it.  Unbelievable what upsets people.

Honored Contributor

It's okay if you find the term 'like a grandma" offensive when used in a negative way. And if you want to report the review for being ageist, that is completely your right.

I think that urging others to also report the reviews is what has gotten you such an unkind response and lots of mockery. If you want others to do something, there's a huge burden on you to provide lots of bulletproof reasons and evidence.

You can't assume that everyone already agrees with you and that the term offends them. It might help if you fleshed out the ways you see the term harming older people in general and grandparents in particular.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

I don't quite know how this got to be about smelly old people.  But it happens in other species too.  Like dogs.

Puppies all have that distinctive puppy smell that dissipates in a few months.  Human babies also have their own sweet smell that goes away too.

And old dogs have a definite odor--not necessarily because of illness.  I often tell my dog that she's starting to smell "like an old doggie".

@geezerette 

I mentioned that saying grandma is not always offensive but when it is used in a disparaging manner, like that old people smell or grandma smell.  Then several people with poor reading skills accused me of saying that nobody smelled but old people and, in trying to offer them medical facts, they kept calling me ugly names and said I was weird.  Then the mean girls all started piling on me.  You know blood-thirsty and rabid then can get:   when one bites, the whole pack comes in for the kill.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

Body odor naturally changes as you age. For older people, this change in smell is likely due to an increase in levels of a compound called 2-nonenal. No matter the cause, there’s no reason to run from these changes. Research suggests that, while people recognize older adults as smelling different, many do not consider the smell offensive.

The “old people smell” is not only known in our country but around the world. In fact, the Japanese have created a word to describe the unique scent, “kareishu.” Not only have they created a word to describe it, but companies have created products tailored towards hampering or covering the scent up entirely. The Shiseido Group, a Japanese cosmetics company, has created a perfume that specifically targets and neutralizes the smell given off by nonenal (component for a body odor in older people).

As we get older. there is an actual change in our body chemistry. Starting at about age 40, human bodies begin to subtly change the way that omega-7 unsaturated fatty acids on the skin are degraded. As these acids are exposed to oxygen in the air, the change creates a smell, called “nonenal” after the 2-nonenal molecule that is produced in the breakdown process.

The current hypothesized reasoning behind nonenal production is hormonal imbalances. These imbalances occur during aging and often result in more lipid acid, a fatty acid produced in our skin. As our skin matures, its natural antioxidant protection declines. This decline results in greater oxidation of lipid acid. When lipid acid is oxidized, the chemical compound nonenal is produced, giving off the “old people smell” that many of us are familiar with.

Exactly why this happens is still a mystery.

Good grief, you need help or maybe a bath and a stonger deoderant.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:
This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read!

You can only laugh about these threads.  

I can top this stupid post somebody wanted me to quit using my 'shark' avatar because it made her dizzy ROFLMAO Mods turned a blind eye you can't tell somebody what avatar to use who died and left you Queen Elizabeth.

I remember that thread. Some even got annoyed you DIDN'T change it.  Unbelievable what upsets people.

@KKJ    I like that ol'shark .if a poor soul  gets dizzy take a Bonine pill

over the counter at Walmart. I take before being reared back in the dentist chair nowdays they turn your behind upside down. Really helps!

Honored Contributor

From the website Aging Care:

"Many people are familiar with it: the musty, grassy or greasy odor that lingers in senior living facilities, grandparents’ homes and other similar places. Some people refer to it as “old person smell,” and it is widely misunderstood in the United States.

This scent is often mistakenly attributed to poor hygiene, but it is actually an inescapable component of body odor that only manifests in older individuals. The official (and more respectful) term for “old people smell” is nonenal.

What Causes Older Individuals to Smell Differently?

According to a study published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, an increase of 2-nonenal is directly associated with aging. 2-nonenal is a chemical compound that is produced when omega-7 unsaturated fatty acids on the skin are degraded through oxidation.

Around age 40 in both men and women, the skin begins producing more fatty acids as its natural antioxidant defenses begin to deteriorate. Hormonal changes like menopause can contribute to this chemical process as well.

As the skin grows weaker, its natural oils oxidize more quickly, producing 2-nonenal. Because it isn’t water soluble, 2-nonenal can remain on the skin despite thorough washing. Therefore, the smell persists on the body and on fabrics, even in extremely clean environments."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The phenomenon of folks looking to be 'offended' has grown very tiresome. Moving on.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...