Honored Contributor

Re: CUSTOMER REVIEWS NEGATIVE "LIKE GRANDMA"OFFENSIVE

Body odor naturally changes as you age. For older people, this change in smell is likely due to an increase in levels of a compound called 2-nonenal. No matter the cause, there’s no reason to run from these changes. Research suggests that, while people recognize older adults as smelling different, many do not consider the smell offensive.

The “old people smell” is not only known in our country but around the world. In fact, the Japanese have created a word to describe the unique scent, “kareishu.” Not only have they created a word to describe it, but companies have created products tailored towards hampering or covering the scent up entirely. The Shiseido Group, a Japanese cosmetics company, has created a perfume that specifically targets and neutralizes the smell given off by nonenal (component for a body odor in older people).

As we get older. there is an actual change in our body chemistry. Starting at about age 40, human bodies begin to subtly change the way that omega-7 unsaturated fatty acids on the skin are degraded. As these acids are exposed to oxygen in the air, the change creates a smell, called “nonenal” after the 2-nonenal molecule that is produced in the breakdown process.

The current hypothesized reasoning behind nonenal production is hormonal imbalances. These imbalances occur during aging and often result in more lipid acid, a fatty acid produced in our skin. As our skin matures, its natural antioxidant protection declines. This decline results in greater oxidation of lipid acid. When lipid acid is oxidized, the chemical compound nonenal is produced, giving off the “old people smell” that many of us are familiar with.

Exactly why this happens is still a mystery.

Honored Contributor

I don't quite know how this got to be about smelly old people.  But it happens in other species too.  Like dogs.

Puppies all have that distinctive puppy smell that dissipates in a few months.  Human babies also have their own sweet smell that goes away too.

And old dogs have a definite odor--not necessarily because of illness.  I often tell my dog that she's starting to smell "like an old doggie".

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3

I love the smell of potato chips. 😍

You know what smells? Sheep. Sheep smell. 🐑
Respected Contributor

dang i hope to live long enough to smell old

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Maybe we should do away with the term "Mom" jeans too!

I'm still scratching my head as to what additional steps are required in daily hygiene when one becomes of a certain age. 

@GenXmuse 

In her entire life, my mother NEVER wore jeans.  

I still don't understand what mom jeans are.  

Honored Contributor

@cjm61 wrote:

@faeriemoon Same here. Those reviews describing  clothes as "grandma-like" are very helpful for me. I steer away from them, and I AM A GRANDMA, Nana more specifically. Ninety percent of my wardrobe is QVC and HSN, I hate to shop brick and mortar stores. Several times I was voted by my school students as the best dressed staff member. It just depends on how you wear attire. 

@cjm61 

Okay, I give up .....  What's the difference between a grandma and a nana?  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catnip714 

Really? I remember a world where humans coexisted without every other word(s) offending them!  Never thought I would find a "good morning", offensive. But now it has gone to ,"morning", and my response is "yes it is". 

Need a constant reminder of what I am allowed to say? Ain't happening.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A review is what the author thinks and everyone has their own individual taste and likes and dislikes and opinion..so the so called "grandmother" reviews are valid!

The ones that are NOT acceptable according to the Review Guidelines are those that involve shipment or delivery issues, or expressing disappointment that a particular size of color is sold out, or those where they have not even received the product yet. ...these are the types of reviews that should be reported. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:
This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read!

You can only laugh about these threads.  

I can top this stupid post somebody wanted me to quit using my 'shark' avatar because it made her dizzy ROFLMAO Mods turned a blind eye you can't tell somebody what avatar to use who died and left you Queen Elizabeth.

Respected Contributor

Doesn't bother me at all........