Honored Contributor

Re: CUSTOMER REVIEWS NEGATIVE "LIKE GRANDMA"OFFENSIVE

Aunt Bee wasn't a grandmother; she just dressed like one.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

My only explanation is how older women dressed many years ago that's being referred to today.  They did dress like grandmas then. Sorry, but there is a distinct grandma style.  It doesn't mean all older women dress like that today.  

Look at some of the old movies.  Actresses from the age of 40 used as older mothers and grandmas were dressed in matronly dresses and low oxford shoes and carried small over the arm handbags. Don't forget the hat with netting. My grandmother dressed that way at around 40.  She didn't think it was unfashionable because other women her age and older dressed the same way.

I just saw an old Spring Byington movie the other day.  She couldn't have been more than 40 wearing what I'd call grandma dresses.  

How Aunt Bee dressed in Andy Griffith Show is a good example. 

@Foxxee 

You make a good point, but a lot of those shows in the 1940's .... that was EIGHTY years ago!  

Personally, I think anyone's perception of "grandma styles" is based in large part on your age.  If you were born in the 1960s, your perception of a grandma will just be different than those of someone born in 1995.   And perceptions change all the time.   

Nevertheless, just because someone reviews something that's a bit matronly, it certainly doesn't mean that person hates her grandmother.   A little silly to compare the two, IMO.

@Tinkrbl44 

Yes, my point was I think that some of this thinking stems from a carryover from many years ago.  

Your point about one's perception is based on how their grandmothers dressed is well taken, but I still think there is a distinct grandma style that doesn't stem from the 1960's and afterward.  

I think from the 1960's onward, older women were wanting to look younger and began changing the way they dressed.  So, if those using grandma are referring to those years, I think they are mistaken. 

What younger people saw their grandmothers wearing then and onward wasn't necessarily a grandma style.  They might see classic styles as grandma, for example, because their grandmas wore it.  I get that. 

For some reason they identified it with their grandmothers; although the clothing itself wasn't matronly or grandma. It might be worn today by all ages. In this case, I think they are incorrect. Maybe, their grandmothers weren't dressing grandma at all.  

I agree, discussing grandmothers doesn't mean they hate them.  

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday 

I agree and as a ‘stinky grandma’ I’m going to need financial compensation to get over it.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Lord Above!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe we should do away with the term "Mom" jeans too!

I'm still scratching my head as to what additional steps are required in daily hygiene when one becomes of a certain age. 

Honored Contributor

Anyone can "stink" just from foods consumed.

You can "stink" from eating potato chips, garlic, spicy foods, etc.  Young, old, and in-between.  People have their own unique "scent", too, which can be disturbed by such foods.

Meds are not the only cause.

What is worse is those who bathe in perfume; that is a "stink" that can make my eyes water and sneeze.  Both male and female products.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

Maybe we should do away with Mom jeans too!

I'm still scratching my head as to what additional steps are required in daily hygiene when one becomes of a certain age. 

@GenXmuse   Mom jeans have made a come-back since 2020.

And not just with moms.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

And not just with moms.

Well, yes, I was being facetious.  

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

And not just with moms.

Well, yes, I was being facetious.  

@GenXmuseOk.  I wasn't sure how up-to-date you were on fashion.

LOL

Just being light-hearted here.

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoon Same here. Those reviews describing  clothes as "grandma-like" are very helpful for me. I steer away from them, and I AM A GRANDMA, Nana more specifically. Ninety percent of my wardrobe is QVC and HSN, I hate to shop brick and mortar stores. Several times I was voted by my school students as the best dressed staff member. It just depends on how you wear attire.