Honored Contributor

Re: CUSTOMER REVIEWS NEGATIVE "LIKE GRANDMA"OFFENSIVE

[ Edited ]

@catnip714  

@Pearlee wrote:

@catnip714 wrote:

Please, everybody, Report any negative reviews on anything saying "like grandma",or

any other member of a family. It's hurtful and offensive.Why must we endure the people

who did not like their grandmothers? I loved my grandmothers.If they don't like it, they don't like it, why must it look like "grandma", or smell like "grandma".It should be left out of the reviews as OFFENSIVE, like any other group of people.I have reported this to customer service, yet it is still happening.If grandmas hit "Report", it will stop.

@catnip714  Get a tougher skin and stop being so easily offended.

I would not "report" any such thing as you are requesting.

@catnip714  I do agree that to be on almost any forum one needs somewhat of a tough skin. I do admit, however, that I do not find it necessary to  use names such as "grandma" in the kind of context  op mentions.   Maybe it's because I loved my grandma's so much and that name is special to me. Personally, I would choose a different word.   

Honored Contributor

Why don't YOU just stop reading reviews if they upset you so much???   I rarely read reviews but when I do, it's just for product opinions.  I. certainly wouldn't care about any perceived insults to grandma's....lol.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

This is a joke, right????

@tends2dogs 

No joke about it but as we age we do have a very "distinct" odor that is perhaps not pleasant to most people with sensitive noses.  There is a lot of discussion of that in a blog called women over fifty network and you can eliminate the spaces and backspace and backslash and dont smell like an old lady.  Add dashes inbetween those words.  There are many reasons and it has to do with aging and hormones, our activities, our lifestyle, diet and other reasons.  Just go to that network, and see for yourself.  I try to do those things enumerated therein, but my husband, who has dementia, does not understand.  Also, the medicines we take can cause us to have bad breath, due to dry mouth and otherwise, the lack of daily bathroom situations can cause bad breath, etc. It's all there. 

Bull doo doo...lol.  Some old people lose an interest in cleanliness and personal hygiene as the age and just stink.  Also some have homes and soft fabric furniture that retains odors.and they don't let any air in.  And some bladder issues but they can't admit it or protect their clothing and furniture.  

Honored Contributor

I guess I'd better stop buying My Grandma's coffeecake from QVC. The sad thing is that they are wonderful. I think the OP has gone off her rocker! Go granny, go.

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

And of course,no reply from the OP.

Of course not.  The OP is too busy sitting back laughing at all of the replies and the controversy he/she created.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

I am confused. Are you saying if someone reviews a dress and says it looks like grandma dress this is offensive? Otherwise I don't get the gist of your post. Either way I am a grandma and I 

don't find anything offensive about saying something looks like a grandma dress or a grandma hairdo or whatever. It's just a comment that has been around for years. No big deal to me anyway. I won't be reporting. 

@50Mickey 

Grandma is not used in an endearing way and very disparaging, especially when it comes to odors of Grandma's body, and if you are a grandma, you certainly have it whether you know it or not unless you are doing certain things to preven it, among which is bathing frequently, shampooing daily, and a litany of other requirements.

@Nonametoday 

HUH?????  I have an odor I can't do much about?

Seriously?  I have NO idea what you are talking about.

I only WEN my hair 2x per week and would NEVER wash my hair everyday.

I assure you, I do NOT have an odor and do NOT do a litany of other requirements.

Am I getting punked???

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

Body odor naturally changes as you age. For older people, this change in smell is likely due to an increase in levels of a compound called 2-nonenal. No matter the cause, there’s no reason to run from these changes. Research suggests that, while people recognize older adults as smelling different, many do not consider the smell offensive.

The “old people smell” is not only known in our country but around the world. In fact, the Japanese have created a word to describe the unique scent, “kareishu.” Not only have they created a word to describe it, but companies have created products tailored towards hampering or covering the scent up entirely. The Shiseido Group, a Japanese cosmetics company, has created a perfume that specifically targets and neutralizes the smell given off by nonenal (component for a body odor in older people).

As we get older. there is an actual change in our body chemistry. Starting at about age 40, human bodies begin to subtly change the way that omega-7 unsaturated fatty acids on the skin are degraded. As these acids are exposed to oxygen in the air, the change creates a smell, called “nonenal” after the 2-nonenal molecule that is produced in the breakdown process.

The current hypothesized reasoning behind nonenal production is hormonal imbalances. These imbalances occur during aging and often result in more lipid acid, a fatty acid produced in our skin. As our skin matures, its natural antioxidant protection declines. This decline results in greater oxidation of lipid acid. When lipid acid is oxidized, the chemical compound nonenal is produced, giving off the “old people smell” that many of us are familiar with.

Exactly why this happens is still a mystery.

@Nonametoday 

OH NO!

So I have been stinky since I was 40 and no one EVER told me?

I am going to go hide in my house til I die.

Honored Contributor

GasSmiley.gif   End of discussion................

Honored Contributor

@Love4cats wrote:

Is there anything anyone can say these day's without offending someone?

@Love4cats  No there is not it seems. And if the op wants to say I have body odor, so be it. Why should that be offensive? You probably have it also.

Respected Contributor

Thank you one and all for a wonderful way to start my day. 12 pages of terribly funny opinions. Since we are off to the races on "grandma" how do we all stand on the term "old lady". Just stirrin' the pot.