Esteemed Contributor

Re: CUSTOMER REVIEWS NEGATIVE "LIKE GRANDMA"OFFENSIVE

Well, I'm not a grandmother but am old.  Does that mean I don't smell or dress "grandma".  

There may be an old person smell but I bathe daily, wash my hair every other day and wear the same perfume as I wore under 40. 

I think to use the term "grandma" describing fashion is a generalization.  I find many older people today are dressed better than very casually dressed young people.  I dress appropriate to my age and wouldn't wear jeans with holes or one tuck (others may)  but I like bright colors & am often told by younger persons that they like my sense of fashion.   

I think better words might be used like "it's not youthful" "old fashioned" etc but the phrase doesn't offend me.  The smell in nursing homes is very different from 1:1 contact.  I have many older friends who bathe, dress nicely & don't smell.  It's a matter of hygiene just like it is for younger persons.   Some older persons may have lost interest in hygiene but so do many young people.  Grandma today is not the grandma of yesteryear 

Disliking a garment does not mean you disliked grandma? 

Honored Contributor

COOKIN129.gif

Trusted Contributor

It doesn't bother me. I am a grandma and an old lady. I dress the way I like. And I don't care how anybody thinks I "smell". I have been seeing commercials and opinions about women's "odors" since I was a kid. I fell into the trap as a young woman with every Massengil and Summer's Eve product I could buy.

It's a ploy to make women feel bad about their bodies so they spend money on products that make them acceptable. Nope. Not for me anymore.

Stay out of my space if you don't like my smell. Easy peasy.

Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread   Preach it sister!  LOL. I would love to have a tee shirt made with your "stay out of my space if you don't like my smell" slogan on it.  Thanks for the laugh!  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I've never heard (nor smelled) this odor of grandmas.  What no grandpa odor?

What I do see and hear is the tremendous ageism in this country.  No one thinks anything of insulting and making fun of older adults.  I see it all the time in the media. If this disparaging behavior included any other group of people it would not be tolerated.

I worked for a company putting together focus groups and testing all kinds of products.  If you were over 50, they were not interested in your opinion, you were not invited.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Love4cats wrote:

Is there anything anyone can say these day's without offending someone?

@Love4cats  No there is not it seems. And if the op wants to say I have body odor, so be it. Why should that be offensive? You probably have it also.

@proudlyfromNJ  You are disgusting!!! NO, I don't stink, it's called taking a daily shower. How dare you say something like that to me!!!!! Sound's like you are the one that STINKS!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@JamandBread   Preach it sister!  LOL. I would love to have a tee shirt made with your "stay out of my space if you don't like my smell" slogan on it.  Thanks for the laugh!  LOL

HA! YESSSSSS!

My pleasure.

Trusted Contributor

Late to the game, as usual.

I have always, ALWAYS heard the term "grandma" used as an insult to describe something that was considered old/ugly/frumpy/stinky/moldy. ALWAYS. Since I was a kid, that's how it's been used. Did we think older people/our grandparents would be offended? Nope. Didn't give it a moments notice because kids don't think that way (nor do most adults. Those with name Karen just LOVE how it's been made into the ULTIMATE insult. Just saying). So I get it. It's wrong and I don't do it nor do I care for those who do.

As for that "smell": yep. I've smelled it on older people for as long as I can remember. Again, as kids who had multi-generational households, we ALL knew about that "smell". My husband now has it. Showers, clean towels, clean sheets, clean clothes....doesn't matter. When he had surgery the past 2 times, he was required to shower with something provided by the doctor; whatever it was eliminated that "smell" for almost a week. Then it came back with a vengeance. Next time he had surgery' same thing. I kept the bottle to see if I could buy it over the counter. Nope. It's an Rx. Shame as I would buy that stuff by the boatload if I could.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

I'm an OVERJOYED old, OLD GRANDMA who looks about 97 AND COULD NOT CARE LESS about "LIKE GRANDMA" reviews.

Some people my chronological age are younger than I, and some are much MUCH older, and as long as I can get myself to where I like to go, play my tuba, and enjoy the sunrise, ALL IS GOOD.

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Late to the game, as usual.

I have always, ALWAYS heard the term "grandma" used as an insult to describe something that was considered old/ugly/frumpy/stinky/moldy. ALWAYS. Since I was a kid, that's how it's been used. Did we think older people/our grandparents would be offended? Nope. Didn't give it a moments notice because kids don't think that way (nor do most adults. Those with name Karen just LOVE how it's been made into the ULTIMATE insult. Just saying). So I get it. It's wrong and I don't do it nor do I care for those who do.

As for that "smell": yep. I've smelled it on older people for as long as I can remember. Again, as kids who had multi-generational households, we ALL knew about that "smell". My husband now has it. Showers, clean towels, clean sheets, clean clothes....doesn't matter. When he had surgery the past 2 times, he was required to shower with something provided by the doctor; whatever it was eliminated that "smell" for almost a week. Then it came back with a vengeance. Next time he had surgery' same thing. I kept the bottle to see if I could buy it over the counter. Nope. It's an Rx. Shame as I would buy that stuff by the boatload if I could.

Speaking of Karens, I got called a Karen the other day!  I LOLed!