Honored Contributor

CPSC Recall Kidde Plastic Handle Fire Extinguishers!

Go to Kidde.com and click on product safety recall notice to locate models affected. If unable to access models affected link call them at 1-855-271-0773 Press ‘1’ for US. They will take info, send out a replacement one in 15-20 business days with instructions on how to return the recallied one.

See this link too: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failu...

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

Re: CPSC Recall Kidde Plastic Handle Fire Extinguishers!

Thank you for that reminder! I heard this on the news this morning, but forgot.

Honored Contributor

Oh goody. We have two fire extinguishers, purchased early this summer. Both are recalled. And I was beginning to think that I might actually have a day where I didn’t have to handle some sort of task. 

Thanks for posting. I hadn’t heard the news. I submitted the info on both of ours and they’ll send Replacements. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I checked my kiddies fire items today. My are a-ok. I have metal handles

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom

Thank you for posting this.  This is why it is great to have QVC support the forum.  Safety related issues, I don't take lightly.  I saw it (the recall) on the evening news and then checked the forum to see if it had been posted here.

I found your link very helpful to locate the necessary information needed to make the safety exchange.  Sure enough, the fire extinguisher I bought in 2016 at Aldi's was recalled.  I submitted the recall/exchange form on their website.  They were not currently manning the phones since it was after business hours.  

15-20 days to get a replacement shipped.  They want you to hang on to the old extinguisher and will send directions with what to do with it.  

Honored Contributor

@jpie I called around 10:30 AM ET and I did have a short wait, but all info was taken down. The C/S Rep said mine would arrive in 15-20 business days and it would come via FEDEX.

I always like to know what mail service so I can keep an eye out for it.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom

Thank you for letting us know that it will arrive via FedEX.  I was not able to catch this delivery method by their website.

I agree that it is helpful to know the shipping method!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both of ours are being recalled.  Ugh.

Already filed online and received an ID for each one for reference.

We did see this on the news but thanks to @JustJazzmom for posting.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I haven't clicked onto the link.  Mine are a few years old, and I'll be purchasing new ones.   Just wondering: Might it be easier to return to the (large nation-wide stores) store and get a replacement there??  Bring a copy of the list of defective models, etc.  Just a thought.   Around here, the stores take back and replace recalls or give a refund with receipt.   p.s.  I'm the one who saves all receipts.   Tape it to the inside of the box, etc.   Just in case.    Let's hope that we never have to use a fire extinguisher.  Kidde is one of the best or the best, very sturdy and reliable. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Kidde is also recalling fire extinguishers sold in Canada too.

We have two old Kidde ones that we bought in the U.S. I was reading articles that said that even if yours aren't recalled that they need replacement after about 12 years. I'm pretty sure ours are way older than that so on our next trip to the U.S. we'll buy new ones as they are much cheaper than in Canada.