Honored Contributor

COVID detected in wastewater - Mass.

[ Edited ]

Add this to the long list of things to be mindful of during the pandemic...

I'm sure this is happening nationwide...especially in hotspots. The article I just read:

"Coronavirus traces found in Mass. wastewater reach highest levels yet of the fall surge"

Esteemed Contributor

Re: COVID detected in wastewater - Mass.

😶

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise I think that means someone in the community is infected. I remember when some colleges reopened, they were testing for infection among dormitory students by testing the waste water of each dorm separate from others.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read an article a couple months ago of how places like colleges had their wastewater checked to keep track of Covid infections. 

Edited to add - after I posted I saw @millieshops had the same thought. 

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Susan Louise I think that means someone in the community is infected. I remember when some colleges reopened, they were testing for infection among dormitory students by testing the waste water of each dorm separate from others.

@millieshops  Well, LOL, that goes without saying. Did you read the article, or just the title of the article I posted?

Honored Contributor

They are also testing poo from sewage for covid. They can tell how prevalent it is in the community

I also read a poo test for covid could better detect covid over the traditional test. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let's be clear though. You can't get Covid from waste water or tap water.

They are just using the traces to gauge how many people may be infected because testing is still not adequate in many areas.

ETA: Covid traces are not "live" virus. Traces don't replicate. So they can't replicate in your body to infect you. If they had found "live" virus in the waste water they would have said so.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

So - don't drink the waste water!

I kid of course - mostly because I am beyond over this fear of 19 thing.

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I read an article a couple months ago of how places like colleges had their wastewater checked to keep track of Covid infections. 

@itsmagic  Well, I'm thinking about at what levels will it start to be concerning for those who isolate/stay at home? The chart in the article is eye-opening. Add on that the spike in COVID cases/deaths is just starting to ramp up and nobody really knows right now at what level we need to be concerned.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

They are also testing poo from sewage for covid. They can tell how prevalent it is in the community

I also read a poo test for covid could better detect covid over the traditional test. 

There's a joke in there somewhere. 😄

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.