Honored Contributor

Re: COVID Vaccine and Social Number

I had my shot at my local hospital where they have ALL of my information anyway from prior Doctor visits and surgeries.  Nothing was given that they do not already have. 

if you went to a community vaccination place or a random pharmacy/drug store...then you info might be going to other places you wish it would not

Esteemed Contributor

It depends on the location where you get the vaccine.  In NJ, we are required to have information sent to DOH & we can opt out of that at a later date.  I did supply my insurance info online during the registration process & I think my SS# & if it was required I gave it.  If you decline to give your number, it can still be obtained easily & it was.  The state has our tax forms, SS administration has your number and these databases cross reference.  The States control the vaccine rollout not the places who administer it.  I gave my number to expedite the process.   The fear of Covid was greater than my fear of identity theft.  Plus, I have many safeguards in place on my SS#; if it is used I get notified for verification.  

if some unknown entity requests my ss# I don't give it.  If I trust people to administer a vaccine I know little about, I trust them to give up my ss#.   

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

It depends on the location where you get the vaccine.  In NJ, we are required to have information sent to DOH & we can opt out of that at a later date.  I did supply my insurance info online during the registration process & I think my SS# & if it was required I gave it.  If you decline to give your number, it can still be obtained easily & it was.  The state has our tax forms, SS administration has your number and these databases cross reference.  The States control the vaccine rollout not the places who administer it.  I gave my number to expedite the process.   The fear of Covid was greater than my fear of identity theft.  Plus, I have many safeguards in place on my SS#; if it is used I get notified for verification.  

if some unknown entity requests my ss# I don't give it.  If I trust people to administer a vaccine I know little about, I trust them to give up my ss#.   

@Stray, rational and spot-on.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:

We live in NJ, went to one of the mega sites and we were not required to provide our SS#.   We weren't even asked for it.

They asked us for our drivers licenses and our medicare cards the first time, the second time all we had to show was our vaccine card.

So far we haven't received EOB's from Medicare nor have we heard from the DOH.

Respected Contributor

Finding an appt has been such a pain for me, I am not willing to drive many miles to get the shot. I don't drive often or many miles. I also don't have a cell phone so driving far is not an option if I get lost.

The other problem I had was they wanted a consent form filled out and brought with you and an email for confirmation. I don't have a printer so that didn't work for me either. I also don't have anyone to drive me.

I finally found Price Chopper grocery stores online that are giving shots and its 5 minutes away. I made an appt for Monday. All they ask for is ID and insurance card. I hope that's all I need. This has been a chore for me plus just getting the shot & whether there are any side effects. I'll be glad when its over. 

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@Love my grandkids I was told that if you have your primary care supplement card from your health carrier, there was no need to supply your medicare card you get from government.  I thought the reason was because your medicare card has your social on it.  So I put the card away and no I must confess I cannot find it to see if social is on it. Please look at your medicare card and correct me if I am wrong.  Thanks for your help.

@tobes 

Medicare cards used to have social security number on them but they were replaced a few years ago with a Medicare number.  I always carry my Medicare card and supplemental ins. card with me. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got mine thorugh the County.  I was not required to give my SS#.  The  vaccine was not limited to citizens but the County was interested in residency.  I was not asked for insurance info. 

EDIT:  I went back and double-checked the pre-vaccination form, no SS# was required. 

Hubby went through a hospital system and was asked for his insurance card. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I went to a mass vaccination site put on by Microsoft/Starbucks.  I made my appointment online.  Printed the confirmation of my appointment and instructions.  They wanted my Medicare card and drivers license for the first vaccination.  An appointment was made for my second vaccination while I was there.  Second vaccination they only asked for my vaccination card and ID.  It was very well run and I was only there about 1/2 hour both times including the observation time at the end.  

Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

I got mine thorugh the County.  I was not required to give my SS#.  The  vaccine was not limited to citizens but the County was interested in residency.  I was not asked for insurance info. 

EDIT:  I went back and double-checked the pre-vaccination form, no SS# was required. 

Hubby went through a hospital system and was asked for his insurance card. 

I had the same experience with a clinic sponsored by our state health department.  No insurance information or SS# asked for.  Just birthdate and address.

Honored Contributor

All the different experiences are interesting.  It would be nice if it were the same all over.

Where I got my first shot (Walgreens) they asked if I had insurance.  I told her that I didn't have any medical insurance outside of the basic Medicare. She took my card and documented it.

I just can hardly wait until my second one, in about 10 days, because I fear someting will go wrong.   I just want to get finished.  I do struggle with things that are left partially done, so that's probably all that is.  Smiley Happy