Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
@CelticCrafter. Not if you sanitize it after using. I have sanitizer in the car and in my purse.

@Cakers3LOL

@Pearlee So if you have hand sanitizer in the car and purse.....you need this thing why?

Is it going to be "sanitized" after it touches each thing?

Push button .

Sanitize.

Open door.

Sanitize.

Oh, btw, it can't be used on door knobs.

I'm afraid that you'll still have to use your hands for that.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
🙄
Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I keep cheap latex gloves in the car and a pair in my purse.  I take them off from the cuff so they turn inside out when done.  I even put one over the phone at the pharmacy pick up.

Those keys have to be santized after touching something or you just take those germs with you.

@CalminHeart 

They're made of brass, which is supposed to be a substance that is anti-microbial.  You could probably google it. I didn't, because I don't need something else on my keychain.  

OK, I did just google it. Here's what I found:

An April 2020 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine tested the decay rate of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, on various surfaces. The authors found that it remained on copper for four hours according to their tests, but that “no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 4 hours.” Compare that with the results for plastic and stainless steel, where the virus can live for up to three days. It’s not that copper kills the novel coronavirus on contact, but rather that the surface is inhospitable for it.

The four-hour viability window makes us skeptical of any of these touch tools. Say you use one to take money out at an ATM that has been contaminated, and some of the coronavirus moves to the copper. You then throw your keychain into your pocket or bag, potentially transferring the virus onto a surface where it can live longer—and then potentially transfer to you when you put your hand back in to grab your keys again. Unless you’re properly cleaning the touch tool after each use, and making sure that if it touches surfaces more hospitable to germs (such as polyester clothing or a plastic wallet), you clean or dispose of them, all you’re doing is providing a less-than-ideal surface for the virus and other contaminants to live on. You’re not killing it outright or preventing its spread.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I'm much more interested in physical distancing and wear a mask when I need to go into a business establishment.

I don't think that transmisson from surfaces -- unless you were to touch a surface that had just been touched by a virus carrier and then touched your face -- is a big worry at all.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
So don't put your key on your keychain. It'll fit nicely into a ziplock bag, seal the bag, and keep it in your purse or wherever. No big deal.
People here just love to make mountains out of molehills.
Honored Contributor
@Anonymous 032819. I'm sure, as you stated on my Beatles song thread, you have more important things to worry about than a Covid key and how useful it might be.
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
@CelticCrafter. Not if you sanitize it after using. I have sanitizer in the car and in my purse.

@Cakers3LOL

@Pearlee So if you have hand sanitizer in the car and purse.....you need this thing why?

Paranoia 

Honored Contributor
Well @suzyQ3 you've saved $20 then. 😄
Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Cakers3LOL

Paranoia 

Maybe she wants to look cool  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@Anonymous 032819. I'm sure, as you stated on my Beatles song thread, you have more important things to worry about than a Covid key and how useful it might be.

Don't go putting words in to my mouth.

What I said was, "Beatles song used in a commercial?

No, that doesn't bother me.

Bigger things are bothering me."

There's a difference between bother and worry.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.