Honored Contributor

Re: COSTCO new credit card policy question

@shoekitty wrote:

I am a little confused about the new Costco credit card policy starting Monday.  I understood as it was discussed on these boards last Fall, that Costco was changing cards.  They are using Citibank Visa only.  I read an online article that was unclear about debit cards.  It said Costco no longer accepts American express, only Visa.  This includes not accepting Non-visa debit cards.

This couldn't be true could it?  I am I misreading?  My band card is Mastercard, that is what my bank gives us.  My only "credit card" is Amex.  So does this mean I can only shop Costco with cash or check?  If so, my business is gone!

Also, it is no use to call and ask, as there is a 4 to 5 hour wait as their system is a mess because the transition did not go smoothly.  People are angry, especially business members who said they have not received their new cards yet and cannot use old ones

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks so much, Shoe

The new credit card policy already started this past Monday, June 20.  I just racked up a ton with my Chase Visa. HTH.

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

This transition has been a huge stressor for me. I got through to CS after 4 days of them Hanging Up! on me due to overloaded call volume! Got my 3 top questions addressed. Still don't understand points transfer. I am trying to move forward with the new Visa and eventually cancel AmEx. They had like a year to do this right and didn't.
Honored Contributor

FWIW

We used our new VisaCoscto cards this week no problems.  For us it's annoying as I used our Bloomies AX there and our Visa cards were mainly for the business.

So we had to reconfigure that   (first world problems)

And we got the new cards about 3 weeks ago

Honored Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:
This transition has been a huge stressor for me. I got through to CS after 4 days of them Hanging Up! on me due to overloaded call volume! Got my 3 top questions addressed. Still don't understand points transfer. I am trying to move forward with the new Visa and eventually cancel AmEx. They had like a year to do this right and didn't.

@birdQ13   I don't see what they did wrong?  Everything worked quite smoothly, IMO.  I had one worry when I used my Costco AMEX to make an online charge on the 16th.  The charge was immediately authorized, but didn't post before the switch.  I was concerned that my order would be cancelled.  Not so.  My charge automatically posted to the new Citi Visa either Monday or Tuesday.

I don't know where you got the idea about points unless you're talking about a different Citi Visa.  There were no points with the Costco AMEX and there aren't any with the Costco Visa.  The "reward" is a percentage of your various purchases charged, in the form of a monetary rebate, the same as it's been with AMEX, assuming you've been using a Costco branded AMEX, but a little better with gasoline.  Whatever you have accumulated with that AMEX will just transfer, like taking your money from one bank or account and putting it in another.  As for cancelling, if you are referring to the Costco branded AMEX, it's already been deactivated by them and can no longer be used.  If you have any auto-pays set up with that AMEX, you need to go to the sites and correct your credit card information before running into any problems with those places.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy

Thanks.  I did get the card but when I went to activate it on line I had a problem so I just called them.  I have an AMEX bill here and I hesistate to mail the bill.  I guess I will mail it today and hope for the best.  

Esteemed Contributor

All Visa cards. I did sign up for the Costco Visa.  I will wait and see what the real benefits are.  And I had that American Express card on record for 20 years.  I called them and transfered American Express to another American Express to keep my longevity.  Never a good idea to get rid of the oldest cards.  I did ask them to reduce the credit limit, which they did.  

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@tansy

Thanks.  I did get the card but when I went to activate it on line I had a problem so I just called them.  I have an AMEX bill here and I hesistate to mail the bill.  I guess I will mail it today and hope for the best.  

I wouldn't mail that bill until you get a hold of Visa. They should've transferred your balance to the new card. The Amex accounts were shut down as of 6/20, and we were notified we would not have access to them after that. They sent lots of notices warning customers.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@tansy

I wouldn't mail that bill until you get a hold of Visa. They should've transferred your balance to the new card. The Amex accounts were shut down as of 6/20, and we were notified we would not have access to them after that. They sent lots of notices warning customers.

I was aware I could not use it but I was not aware I could not look up the final balance.  I had a couple of credits on the AMEX account was why I was looking for the final total.  I will check with Visa. 

Honored Contributor

@roxiegirl wrote:

They will take any VISA.  It doesn't have to be Citibank's.

@roxiegirl, this was my understanding too   .......  that Costco now takes Visa Cards .....  period, regardless who the bank is!

Honored Contributor

In my email, it also ONLY said that they will take VISA - it didn't specify any particular one.