Honored Contributor

COSTCO new credit card policy question

I am a little confused about the new Costco credit card policy starting Monday.  I understood as it was discussed on these boards last Fall, that Costco was changing cards.  They are using Citibank Visa only.  I read an online article that was unclear about debit cards.  It said Costco no longer accepts American express, only Visa.  This includes not accepting Non-visa debit cards.

This couldn't be true could it?  I am I misreading?  My band card is Mastercard, that is what my bank gives us.  My only "credit card" is Amex.  So does this mean I can only shop Costco with cash or check?  If so, my business is gone!

Also, it is no use to call and ask, as there is a 4 to 5 hour wait as their system is a mess because the transition did not go smoothly.  People are angry, especially business members who said they have not received their new cards yet and cannot use old ones

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks so much, Shoe

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: COSTCO new credit card policy question

@shoekitty wrote:

I am a little confused about the new Costco credit card policy starting Monday.  I understood as it was discussed on these boards last Fall, that Costco was changing cards.  They are using Citibank Visa only.  I read an online article that was unclear about debit cards.  It said Costco no longer accepts American express, only Visa.  This includes not accepting Non-visa debit cards.

This couldn't be true could it?  I am I misreading?  My band card is Mastercard, that is what my bank gives us.  My only "credit card" is Amex.  So does this mean I can only shop Costco with cash or check?  If so, my business is gone!

Also, it is no use to call and ask, as there is a 4 to 5 hour wait as their system is a mess because the transition did not go smoothly.  People are angry, especially business members who said they have not received their new cards yet and cannot use old ones

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks so much, Shoe

They are only taking VISA cards now so no, you cannot use your Amex card at Costco any longer. Here is what they take now:

"Costco accepts all Visa cards, Costco credit cards, cash, checks, debit/ATM, EBT and Costco Cash Cards. Checks may require picture identification and approval by a supervisor or manager. Cash, checks and EBT not accepted at Costco Gas Stations or Costco Car Washes."

Honored Contributor

I don't think the new credit card policy has anything to do with debit cards...where the merchant gets the funds at the point of sale.  

I haven't been there since the change went into effect....but they would lose a gazillion $$$ in sales if they stopped accepting debit cards that weren't Visa based.

Regular Contributor

They will take any VISA.  It doesn't have to be Citibank's.

Honored Contributor

From their website

What payment methods are accepted at Costco.com and in U.S. Costco warehouses?

Costco Wholesale accepts a variety of payment methods for your convenience:

Costco warehouse locations:

• Visa Cards 
  • Costco Credit Cards
  • Most PIN-based Debit/ATM Cards
  • Costco Cash Card
  • Cash
  • Personal checks from current Costco members
  • Business checks from current Costco Business members
  • Traveler's checks
  • EBT cards
  • LoopPay and Samsung Pay mobile payments

The statement that they are accepting all Visa credit cards now doesn't exclude them accepting mastercard debit cards. I don't have any mastercards so I can't comment on those. Writing a check is simple at Costco though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Here is the article

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/costcos-new-citi-visa-cards-are-making-customers-furious/ar...

Completely useless article. The OP isn't asking about using the Costco Citi visa. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Here is the article

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/costcos-new-citi-visa-cards-are-making-customers-furious/ar...

Completely useless article. The OP isn't asking about using the Costco Citi visa. 

lol the OP is the one who posted the article!

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

Here is the article

LOL, it was the OP who posted the link.

@shoekitty, that article does say Costco won't take non-Visa debit cards anymore, but I don't think that's true. Costco's own site and other articles I've read say any debit/ATM cards should be fine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shoekitty said

Thanks wengirl!!  That's what I thought I read!  The article has to be wrong!  How could any business work that way?