Respected Contributor

Re: COSTCO new credit card policy question

Must be ALL Visa cards.  I got a notice from my bank that my Visa card is now accepted at Sams.  The only reason I ever had a debit card was to shop at Sams, so now I can ditch that one.  I'm surprised at any retailer who takes Amex.  Their fee to the merchant is higher than others.  Many retailers don't take it because of that. 

Honored Contributor

Here is what is in the body of the email I got the other day - 

"Starting today, Costco begins accepting all Visa credit cards, including the new Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi, both in the warehouse and at Costco gas stations.

American Express® cards will no longer be accepted."

Respected Contributor

The OP was not asking about acceptability of any VISA cards.  She specifically asked about non-VISA debit cards.  Hopefully by now everyone knows Costco will accept any VISA and will not accept AmEx any longer.

Honored Contributor

For anyone that's interested, I just received an email from CitiBank regarding payments of the old AMEX and new charges on the Visa.  If you've carried a Costco AMEX and have made the switch, I'm sure you received it too.  Nothing new really except that late fees won't be charged for payments due June 20-July 31, 2016.

What you need to know:

•Rewards – Any rewards earned on your previous card automatically transferred to your new card and can be viewed in Citi Online or the Citi Mobile® App.

•Payments – If you made a payment to your previous issuer before June 20, 2016, this payment will be transferred and processed within approximately 10 business days. Citi won’t be assessing late fees for payments due June 20‑July 31, 2016.

•Automatic Payments – Payments set up with your previous card weren’t transferred from your previous issuer – but you can easily set up AutoPay in Citi Online.

•Recurring Charges – Because your card information has changed, you'll need to inform companies that automatically charge your account and online retailers where you’ve saved your information.

Valued Contributor

I did not receive any email information and it is discouraging to wonder what I should have received and did not. Oh well. It"ll probably get sorted out soon enough. I will just have to keep a closer eye on my account.
Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

I am the Op.  Thank you for your answers.  I did realize that Costco no longer accepts Amex.  I know the only CREDIT card that will be accepted at Costco is VISA.  I was specifically wondering about ATM/debit.  That was my question after reading an article that Costco also, will not accept any NON VISA ATM/DEBIT.  The article, which I cited in a hyperlink says that.  I myself thought it had to be a misprint.  That is what I was asking, about ATM/debit.

Honored Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

Must be ALL Visa cards.  I got a notice from my bank that my Visa card is now accepted at Sams.  The only reason I ever had a debit card was to shop at Sams, so now I can ditch that one.  I'm surprised at any retailer who takes Amex.  Their fee to the merchant is higher than others.  Many retailers don't take it because of that. 

as a business owner  who accepts amex, we do discourage its use (although we are technically not supposed to.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@MomCat wrote:

as a business owner  who accepts amex, we do discourage its use (although we are technically not supposed to.)

Shoekitty said

In the early 90's I had a small business with a partner.  We had Amex and MC.  We discouraged the Amex if we could as it cost so much to use.  As you know this can hurt, especially on clearance items!!!

I have a funny story.  It was in our newspaper so I can tell.   Barbara Streisand and her husband James Brolin were on a road trip in his red truck about 10 years ago.  They stopped in our town at the antique shops we are known for.  She bought quite a bit and whipped out an Amex, which they didn't carry.  Mr brolin offered another card, but the owner ran next door and used their machine.  LOL!  Gotta love small towns and small business.  The customer is still king !

Honored Contributor

Costco Credit Card Switch Draws Firestorm Of Criticism Costco dropped American Express as its credit card partner this week nationally, and judging by social media backlash, many aren't happy.

http://patch.com/maryland/timonium/s/fsr6v/costco-credit-card-switch-draws-firestorm-of-criticism?ut...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein