Respected Contributor

Re: COSBY hit with ""NEW"" lawsuit in California today

Whoopie has defended him on The View. And one other lady whose name I forget. Also the young lady that was on his show.

Honored Contributor

On 12/5/2014 hckynut said:

Just seems strange to me why so many would wait what, 40 years? Only the ones involved know the truth, I just have a problem with the attorney wanting only money, not a conviction of at least some type of criminal offense.

Realizing this is a life changing trauma for all the victims of this heinous crime, I just do not get why anyone would wait so long before telling an attorney or law enforcement about this crime. Maybe someone here can explain that to me in a way I might be able to understand.

Back then rape was always the women's fault in some way. They always had too many boyfriends, wore provocative clothing, too much make up, came from a bad family, had lied in the past, had a problem with substance abuse...it was always something. If the women had a few drinks and things got bad, it was always her fault. If the man was high profile, even attorneys didn't want to take cases because the thought of loosing was too much for their ego. I remember a couple cases in our area years ago, and the women, her family were run into the ground. Reputation ruined. They became pariahs...until the man was caught doing it again. She had moved by then. It was sad, her life took an awful sad turn.

Also, there is the problem with cost. Many attorneys weigh the case. If they know the accused has money, they know it will be a long expensive course. They require large retainers, and the cost is too prohibitive for most of these ladies. This is just my take.

I am 66, and until the last 10 or 15 years rape was a hard thing to prove. In the days before DNA, internet,cell phones, phone photos, selfies and new CSI technology it was basically
the women's word against the man's. With no physical evidence so to speak, how do you win against America's favorite Dad, and icon with butt loads of money.

IDK what to think. I will wait for the movie to pass judgment. But it looks just awful, scary and terrifying! JMHO and two cents, nothing more.

Honored Contributor

On 12/5/2014 shoekitty said:
On 12/5/2014 hckynut said:

Just seems strange to me why so many would wait what, 40 years? Only the ones involved know the truth, I just have a problem with the attorney wanting only money, not a conviction of at least some type of criminal offense.

Realizing this is a life changing trauma for all the victims of this heinous crime, I just do not get why anyone would wait so long before telling an attorney or law enforcement about this crime. Maybe someone here can explain that to me in a way I might be able to understand.

Back then rape was always the women's fault in some way. They always had too many boyfriends, wore provocative clothing, too much make up, came from a bad family, had lied in the past, had a problem with substance abuse...it was always something. If the women had a few drinks and things got bad, it was always her fault. If the man was high profile, even attorneys didn't want to take cases because the thought of loosing was too much for their ego. I remember a couple cases in our area years ago, and the women, her family were run into the ground. Reputation ruined. They became pariahs...until the man was caught doing it again. She had moved by then. It was sad, her life took an awful sad turn.

Also, there is the problem with cost. Many attorneys weigh the case. If they know the accused has money, they know it will be a long expensive course. They require large retainers, and the cost is too prohibitive for most of these ladies. This is just my take.

I am 66, and until the last 10 or 15 years rape was a hard thing to prove. In the days before DNA, internet,cell phones, phone photos, selfies and new CSI technology it was basically
the women's word against the man's. With no physical evidence so to speak, how do you win against America's favorite Dad, and icon with butt loads of money.

IDK what to think. I will wait for the movie to pass judgment. But it looks just awful, scary and terrifying! JMHO and two cents, nothing more.

Excellent summary. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}