Honored Contributor

COOL HISTORICAL PHOTOS, BROUGHT TO LIFE

[ Edited ]

Remember Marina Amaral, the painstaking artist who meticulously "colorizes" old photos, to make history more immediate?  I had posted some of her work on a young Polish girl imprisoned at Auschwitz.

I dislike colorized movies! And the family photos I display in my house are black-and-white, which I love. But there's something about color in the old photos of history, the rendering of tender flesh tones, etc., that makes them so REAL and relevant.

Here's Charlie Chaplin at age 27, in 1916.  Out of character, there's no sign of his famous "Little Tramp" with mustache, heavy make-up and bowler.  This is 'just Charlie'  Love that unruly hair:

.Here's a car accident in Washington, D.C. in 1921.  There's no comparison with the black and white photos of the incident. Here you get an immediate feel of that disorienting aftermath of a wreck.  People are visibly dazed, but there they are, obligingly facing the camera for posterity:

And doesn't this color shot of a British Royal Air Force pilot in World War II sum up for you the elegant insouciance of these flyboys?  He's described as pausing to have a haircut, "between missions".  Brave boy.  Love the pipe, the almost white eyebrows, the book, and the intent professionalism of the barber:

Honored Contributor

Re: COOL HISTORICAL PHOTOS, BROUGHT TO LIFE

@Oznell 

Yesterday Today: YouTube Channel: Vintage photography, think you would enjoy the color pictures and vintage photos. Fascinating, Love everything. 

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell : To me colorized movies have such an artificial look to them but these are so beautifully natural.

Honored Contributor

Interesting photos.

Esteemed Contributor

These photos are treasures.  So delicately colorized, they certainly add to the photographs, rather than detract.

I have three very old Wallace Nutting colored photographs, which I inherited.  I gather he was thought to have done an excellent job with his works.  They are realistic scenes, quite lovely, colored with a light touch.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   I love your "eye"!  I, so, enjoy your postings and look forward to each and everyone.  We seem to enjoy the same interests.  They, always, give me food for thought and send me on a memory journey as well.  Thank you so much!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  You are a treasure of a poster,my friend. Always,always interesting.  Those photos are great.

We recently saw the movie They Shall never Grow Old.  It's all WW1 films,painstakingly colored for accuracy.  Also words dubbed to what the lips were saying. So compelling,takes you back in time. They were so young.

Thank you for your posts!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Thank you for such dear comments, @Somertime and @MoJoV!  Ditto!

@MoJoV, that film sounds like a fabulous excursion to the past-- intriguing.

@PamfromCT,  yes, Wallace Nutting!  I vaguely had been aware of him in conjuction with old houses, decor, etc.  Didn't know the skilled colorizing aspect of him.  Am enjoying looking him up...

Honored Contributor

I'm all for enhancing even colorizing old movies & photographs.   Not to replace them but to honor them.    Just like a classic movie is re-made for a modern audience, I see it also as a way to preserve the original using today's technology.

I think Charlie Chaplin would approve.

Respected Contributor

The detail is amazing if you open these pics on a lap top or PC and enlarge. Wow. The shoes of the men in the car wreck picture, the fabric they are wearing, the snow chains on the car. Looks like the license plate is from Maryland. Or could be Missouri. Very cool.

Thank you for sharing.