Respected Contributor

Re: CONDO BUILDING IN MIAMI PARTIALLY COLLAPSES!

I just heard it reported on CNBC that, for the past 14 hours, a fire has been burning under the pancaked rubble.  It seems the search is about to become a recovery mission, as they are asking family members for DNA samples to be used for identification.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Florida is known as the lightening Capitol of the World.  If it is or not, I don't know.  I live in Florida. You do get used to it and I have lived here since 2001.  I have never had a strike anywhere nearby my  house. You have a much better chance of getting killed on the roads with the crazy drivers here.

There are 159 people missing in the collapse.   It is pouring down rain all day off and on, which is   the search for survivors.  Please pray for those that may still be alive and the families waiting to hear.  

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D , thanks for all that information.  Just all so sad all around :'(

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

Florida is known as the lightening Capitol of the World.  If it is or not, I don't know.  I live in Florida. You do get used to it and I have lived here since 2001.  I have never had a strike anywhere nearby my  house. You have a much better chance of getting killed on the roads with the crazy drivers here.

There are 159 people missing in the collapse.   It is pouring down rain all day off and on, which is   the search for survivors.  Please pray for those that may still be alive and the families waiting to hear.  

@BalletBabe 

No, Florida is NOT  the lightning capital of the world.

Florida is the lightning capital of the United States.

The lightning capital of the world is Central Africa.

a quick Google search will show you that.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

My guess is the process of sinking due to higher tides due to you-know-what. Of course, there may be more than one factor at play.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Well, I live in a 45 yr old high rise condominium 23 floors plus a penthouse floor. We are having roof work done and balcony work which involves the use of Jack hammers. We get cracks in our walls quite often which we just repair and I’ve never thought about them. This accident really causes me to rethink living in a high building. However, the town is very serious about building codes and inspections.

I hope they find more survivors & that many of the missing returned to second homes or are on vacation.
Respected Contributor

Considering the enormity of the situation--the loss of life, the worry, pain and suffering of thousands of family members--quibbling here for Florida's global lightening status feels insensitive and petty.  Please be respectful.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@BalletBabe 

No, Florida is NOT  the lightning capital of the world.

Florida is the lightning capital of the United States.

The lightning capital of the world is Central Africa.

a quick Google search will show you that.

@Anonymous032819   You need to read my post again.  I said "It is known as " The Lightening Capitol".  In other words that is what people say.  That don't mean it is.  Bottom line is we get a lot of lightening period.  I was told that by many people whe I moved here.   

Esteemed Contributor

Bless the rescuers for they are working around the clock in shifts. The rubble is unstable, and  they have to slowly and carefully pick their way through. When they move one piece, they have to make sure that it doesn't bring even more rubble down. Now  there is a fire burning inside. All of those chemicals being released into the air. They are putting water on it, just  to keep it contained. Don't forget that water has weight, and they are using fire hoses which delivers that water at high pressure. Pressure and weight can displace rubble that is precarious to begin with. And who knows if there is someone alive underneath, and you don't want to accidentally move a heavy piece of concrete, or wall, and accidentally crush them.

It will be a long, slow process.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Since I first heard this evening the news of the fire, I have been struck with memories of the Twin Towers on 9/11.  As they dug through burning rubble then, the similarity to today's first responders being exposed to toxic fumes and the health issues that may well effect them in the future is haunting. 

May God bless them.