Respected Contributor

Re: CONDO BUILDING IN MIAMI PARTIALLY COLLAPSES!

[ Edited ]

Wishing the best for all who are affected by this tragedy.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just read that the Champlain is not too far from the condo that Ivanka and Jared are renting.  The Arte, as it is called, was built in 2019.

Honored Contributor

I read this article yesterday and again this morn in USA Today.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

They are saying that now there are at least 4 confirmed deaths with the collapse.😢

159 people unaccounted for.

This is directly from the latest news conference.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

It was just three years ago that The Pedestrian Bridge at Florida International University in Miami collapsed killing six people before its official opening. I had a relative who worked there and know it was heartbreaking for the whole campus community. This is tragic and highly concerning.

Respected Contributor

Such a sad tragedy. You are supposed to feel safe in your own home. I live in an area that has a high ground water level so am surprised that this doesn't happen more often. I wonder if inspections on building stability are done. This is so scary and so very sad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

initial thought. 

@gardenman   My first thought was a sinkhole, too, especially with FL being one of the states with a high problem.

I don't know much about building structure but your explanation was helpful.

I believe there is a garage underneath, too, if the picture I saw was the same building.

@Cakers3  @gardenman  We don't have under ground garages or basements here in S Fl. This garage is a first floor garage.

@decaf  Sorry-I meant the garage being under the building, not in the ground.   There was a picture of the building with the garage as the "first floor"-that was the one I thought.

Thank you for clarifying.  We do not have underground garages here, either but some of the luxury apt. complexes with garages refer to them as "underground". 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

The last report I saw indicated that the workers are also dealing with falling debris.

So many missing-and since not all residents are year-round only estimates who is missing and who is not.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

It reminds me of the way the building looked after the OKC bombing.  

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Was there a rumor re: a lightning strike?

All I know is, that around here, lightning and thunder almost always shakes the ground, houses.  

Deep vibrations, I guess from the sound of the thunder, etc.

Wishing and hoping for complete rescue and safety for all, including responders/rescue workers, and including the K9's.

@ROMARY @I don't know if lightning hit the building or not, but we had the worst lightning Ive ever seen here last night and we are the lightning capital of the world. It is possible that the building was hit. If lightning had anything to do with this the fire department and engineers will know. There were many strikes around my house last night. I had to unplug everything. All the car alarms were going off. I'm north of Surfside but was tracking the storm on radar. They had lightning. We have lightning strikes without rain sometimes too.

Not hanging out where you live.  I'm extremely afraid of lightning.  When we get a bad storm I go hide in the basement because there are no windows there.  There are dozens of windows in my home and I don't wanna see no ligthning.

@gertrudecloset @My former home was hit, right outside and it fried my AC compressor. My current home was hit, just out front, and it took down two exceptionally tall Washingtonian palms and nearly hit my husband who went out front to see the storm for a second. My dad's home was hit in his giant oak tree, which had branches right next to his roof. If you are afraid of lightning, don't move to Florida. The home behind my home was hit in its roof while I was peering out my sliding glass door watching a storm. They didn't appear to have any damage. We are considered the lightning capital of the world, however, in recent years we have been running neck and neck with Oaklahoma. I love sleeping during thunderstorms. The sounds relax my mind. I even listen to thunderstorm sound on podcasts and YouTube to help me sleep.