Respected Contributor

Re: CONDO BUILDING IN MIAMI PARTIALLY COLLAPSES!

It's very tragic and just a reminder to live everyday to the fullest and to remind your loved ones how you feel about them on a regular basis.

Esteemed Contributor

I heard on Fox News that the building needed 40 million dollars in renovation. That is really sad for all the victims that lost their lives. I wonder who knew these facts. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I just read on 7 News : " The slabs under the landscaping in front (the area over the storage units) have been overstressed since the day the building went up. (Design or Constructon Flaw).

This is very negligent. Someone had to know what was going on with this building. Now, lives have been lost and families destroyed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There was apparent and known trouble with the slabs of concrete around the pool.  They were laid flat when they should have been slanted for proper runoff.

I read that one woman was on her balcony at the ill-fated condo at about 1:30 a.m. Thursday morning, speaking on the phone with her husband who was not in the building.  She said to him, "The pool just caved in!"

Puzzled, he asked, "What?"  She responded once again that the pool just caved in.  The next thing he heard was a blood-curdling scream.  

ETA:  I'm thinking that there are several factors that brought down this building.  If there were problems with the slabs at ground level, and the undergirding became uneven; and then if you have the flat slab construction that has no safety redundancies; and then you have salt water corroding the metal within the concrete; and then you have no proper maintenance...