Respected Contributor

Re: COMFORT FOODS WHEN STUCK IN SNOW DAYS?

@DukeBlueNan...my godson graduated from Duke!
- otherwise, I stocked up on basics and a lil junk food when I heard we were getting snow here in NY today.
Respected Contributor

sounds yummy. i love that type of pasta.

Honored Contributor

I've decided, somehow, someway, there needs to be chocolate in the house. We don't need to overdo on eating it, but there must be a way for this food group. Come to think of it, why don't they ever do the peanut butter and chocolate bar bumping into each other and causing it to become a peanut butter cup? That would be my commercial, for the food group. It just seems necessary!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KKlim Congratulations! A degree to be proud of. Same to be said of all students who graduate from college. That means happy parents everywhere!

Respected Contributor

Grilled cheese with tomato soup, mac and cheese, cheese toast. Wow I like cheese. Lol

H9t cocoa, Dr. Pepper, chewy chocolate chip cookies, potato chips with Helluva GoodDip - French onion flavor, pizza, and before I got burned out on it, Red Velvet cake. I skipped the Krispy Kreme donuts this time around. 

P.s. I'm a Duke fan! I get a donut right?  Lol

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I stock my house heavily before Thanksgiving, with absolutely no intentions of going to the grocery store until the end of January.   I do not even think about making runs to the grocery store before any storm.   Grocery stores here would have been crazy busy this week anyway since it was the first week of the month when many older retirees got their checks, and are out shopping.    

This area of southern WV sees a lot of bitter cold, snowy weather from Christmas thru January.   Also, flu and gastro start hitting pretty hard here after the holidays, so I do not leave the house until I absolutely have to.   

I currently have 100 lbs each of potatoes and onions in my garage, 10 lbs of bacon and 5 lbs of sausage in the fridge freezer, 4-18 ct cartons of eggs, 2 quarts of milk, 1 loaf of bread out, and 1 still in the freezer, and plenty of everything I need to fix a meal.   Today we had white chili and cornbread.  Tomorrow we will have beef chuck roast with carrots, potatoes and onions and cole slaw.   

We have no chips, ready made cookies, cake, or pie in the house.   We do have Mrs Prindables apples left to snack on.   

@RedTop- I can't wrap my head around not going to the store for months. I have a question.  What do you do for things like lettuce for salads, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. and fruits, orange juice and things like that?  Sandwich fixings?

I'm on day two of not leaving the house and I already have cabin fever!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I've been stuck in the house for a week with nothing sweet to eat - I felt like I was losing my mind this morning.  Went out and cleaned off car and got to the grocery for a donut - feeling much better, thank you. 

When I get desperate for something sweet, I resort to a simple recipe my sister and I used to make as children when we wanted a treat:

Chocolate or Vanilla Cornstarch Pudding (Single Serving):

1 cup milk (cold)...any type of milk
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp cocoa powder or chocolate chips to taste (optional)
1 tbsp sugar (use up to 3 tbsp. if adding cocoa powder) 
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine all dry ingredients...except chocolate Then add the cold milk. Stir until it is not lumpy. (Note: Cornstarch dissolves in cold milk, but not in warm or hot milk). Cook in saucepan over medium heat until pudding comes to a boil and has thickened...stirring constantly so it does not burn. Remove and add vanilla. (If desired, add chocolate.) Let sit at least 5 minutes.. Can eat warm or cold. (Yummy!)

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Valued Contributor

My favorite comfort food I crave is Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Pot Pie.  It is not a chicken pie but rather rolled out dough you drop into the chicken broth.   I am craving it right now as I type this. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh,

All of the foods you mentioned are not an issue for my family.   We are not lettuce lovers, period; not interested in salads or sandwiches outside of a hamburger, hot dog, or BBQ.   Trucker daughter eats a lot of sandwiches on the road, so we never have them when she is home.  

I am highly allergic to citrus, but do buy orange juice occasionally for my husband.  It is mainly used for his low blood sugar episodes; no one else in the house drinks orange juice, unless teacher daughter drinks it at school.  

Mushrooms are not brought into this house; I am highly allergic, hubs and trucker daughter don't eat them, teacher daughter rarely ever eats them.   

The only fruit that will be eaten in this house is an apple and a banana.   

I rarely ever buy lunchmeat, except for beef bologna.   If someone eats a sandwich here, it is usually peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and banana, fried bologna, or tuna salad.   

Trucker daughter picks up tomatoes in a NC market for us; I do not buy them local in the winter.   We have no access to good produce here in WV from October thru March.   

My family eats a lot of onions, beets, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, green beans, white and sweet potatoes.   These are easy to store long term.   

We use 2 loaves of bread a month, since trucker daughter usually takes 6-8 slices with her when she hits the road.   Trucker daughter drinks chocolate milk when she's home, and my husband eats cold cereal 2-3x a week.   I am allergic to milk, and teacher daughter drinks Silk.   Milk is low priority here.   

Based on our eating habits, it is very easy for me to shop as I do.  I started shopping like this when gas prices first increased; shopping less and shopping smarter.   I spent $600 for groceries a few days before Thanksgiving; $100 of that was for dog food.   I am making a list and plan to shop again sometime after the 23rd.   With teacher daughter out every day, and husband out twice a week, they often pick up something we need or want, but I limit my shopping trips in the winter months.   

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@hoosieroriginal   I know the pain of needing a sweet treat & none in sight. Happy you got your "fix". 

Thats when you start scrounging around to find the ingredients to make a batch of fudge. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment