Honored Contributor

Re: COLORADO TRAINS TEACHERS TO CARRY FIREARMS IN CLASSROOMS

@SahmIam wrote:

As a gun owner who holds permits to conceal and open carry, I find this 3 day training HORRIBLY lacking and dangerous.

IF you're going to do this, at LEAST make it what many of us gun owners support:

* 2 -3 weeks of classroom training plus a written test

* 2 weeks of range training with one-on-one with an instructor

* requirement of weekly target practice plus ongoing training with an instructor

* FBI background check before allowing the purchase of a gun (the one they supposedly will be carrying in the classroom).

THis is what I went through in order to earn my first licence and how I train. Will that happen? Nope.

@SahmIam

Like in most anything else, knowing more and training more generally makes one better at their choices. What you listed here, while reasonable, it is not practical or realistic. You are talking about stricter standards that many Law Enforcement Standards.

Sounds more like Basic Training for a branch of our Armed Forces than being able to carry a firearm. Most people I know that have CCW permit want to be able to feel confident and comfortable shooting their hand guns, but very go to the few ranges available in, or around our city, to be able to fire their handguns once a week.

With standards as strict as your list, few if any would go through this to carry a handgun, myself included. I consider myself to be a Safe Handgun Owner, and proficient at being able to use it. I am not interested in being a competitive marksman that can hit a small target 15 yards away with a handgun 9 out of 10 shots.

I am in favor of the deepest background checks available for every single person in the United States that buys a handgun, as I see no negatives with that standard. 

Thank you for your post on this topic.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

The Jewish people in Israel have to live with this danger every day of their lives.  We have been fortunate so far.  We could learn some things from them.  Much of their budget goes to protecting their country and its people. 

Honored Contributor

In the state where I live, any angry psycho can buy firearms at gun shows, of which there are plenty.  No background check, no licensing, no nothing.

Just hand over the cash.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

You know, I think it depends on how bad it gets.  Right now many cannot see having firearms in schools.  I wonder who will still think that after it happens a couple of times.  I think there should be a plan for police officers or highly trained security guards to be in the schools NOW.

A couple of times?

There have been dozens of shootings in schools around the country since Sandy Hook.

***********  I should have said a couple more times, I guess.  Do we have to wait until it gets like it has in France, Germany, etc. before we realize that we are already in a war with radical terrorists and act accordingly to protect our children as best we can?  There is no perfect answer to this. I say at least be as prepared as you can. We better be deciding what that looks like instead of fighting about it.

Valued Contributor

I would be interested in what people propose to reduce the number of school shootings.

Education?  I think it's pretty much universal knowledge that killing people is wrong.

Laws on the books?  There are loads of them.  It is illegal to shoot people.  It's illegal for felons to have firearms.  It's illegal to take guns onto school grounds.

Creating no-firearm spaces just gives lunatics stress-free targets.  There's not much danger to the shooter if everyone else is unarmed.

According to the Congressional Research Service, there are more than 300 million guns in the U.S.A.  There's no way to unmake them or eradicated them.

So far as I can tell, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Law enforcement is what it is.  They cannot be everywhere at once.  They were present at Columbine and Sandy Hook.  But it takes some time to get there and assess the situation.

So what is the solution?

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Here in Tx. now with a permit you can carry a gun. I saw a guy Thurs in the walmart with his gun clearly visible in his holster looking at TV's.

My first thought he was undercover, but, then I remembered now that in Tx you can carry a firearm, guess you have to carry the permit around with you if a cop sees you.

Schools are so dangerous any more. kids are apt to go off the deep end, teachers are 'dating' students, drugs, etc.  Glad I wasn't raised in this era.

Scary.....................

@SharkE

I can only speak for our state where if you are carrying in public, you best have your permit with you. Kinda like a drivers license if you are driving. Should you be questioned for anything and be carrying a handgun? You had better hope the officer looks it up on his computer and gives you a warning.

Were I in Law Enforcement and came across a person carrying and did not have their permit with them? First you take the handgun and next check the validity of their claim. I would take their handgun back to my headquarters and that is where they would have to go to recover it. Also throw in a fine, say $25, maybe a bit more. You have a permit for a reason, and "when you carry in public, you carry your permit".

Just an FYI for you.       =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@QueenDanceALot@Roni18  I wasn't referring to private schools, I was saying that if our society has gotten to the point where teachers need to be armed, I think that makes yet another case for homeschooling, even if one has to reduce their standard of living.

Many households have parents working full time just to make ends meet.  They really don't have the option of reducing their standard of living.  Unless they want to be living on the street.

I think the real case to be made is for improving public schools, not removing kids from them and abadoning the schools.  Communities NEED good public schools.

Addressing violence is, of course, a complex issue.  It's certainly not something that is only happening in certain places like schools.  It spans all aspects of our society.

Exactly, communities do need good public schools --- unfortunately, that was eliminated when they began consolidating schools, taking the small schools out of their own little town and creating such large student bodies, that they cannot be adequately controlled, much less educated.

Each little town should have a public school.

There is way too much federal government meddling in public schools and "education."

Public education is under mantle of the government, so to a varying degree, they must be involved. If we left everything up to individual cities or towns, we would have absolutely no coherent standards for what determines the level of education our public school students should reach. As it is, individual school boards still have great sway -- to both the betterment and the detriment of their districts.

If one doesn't believe in public education, then private schools or homeschooling are options. Some private schools are excellent; others are woefully lacking. Many hew to an agenda. Same for homeschooling.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Is the school going to tell the parents which teachers/staff are  armed?

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

You know, I think it depends on how bad it gets.  Right now many cannot see having firearms in schools.  I wonder who will still think that after it happens a couple of times.  I think there should be a plan for police officers or highly trained security guards to be in the schools NOW.

A couple of times?

There have been dozens of shootings in schools around the country since Sandy Hook.

***********  I should have said a couple more times, I guess.  Do we have to wait until it gets like it has in France, Germany, etc. before we realize that we are already in a war with radical terrorists and act accordingly to protect our children as best we can?  There is no perfect answer to this. I say at least be as prepared as you can. We better be deciding what that looks like instead of fighting about it.

Many shootings are done by American citizens, not affiliated in any way with radical terrorists, if by radical terrorists you mean foreign born or illegally living in the U.S.

This is really 2 different subjects.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

They're training teachers how to use a firearm 

Will there be firearms in the classroom?

I'm not sure about this?    Keeping kids safe is of the utmost importance.   I'm not sure about having a firearm in the classroom...

I agree.