Honored Contributor

Re: COLORADO TRAINS TEACHERS TO CARRY FIREARMS IN CLASSROOMS

I just can't imagine carrying a gun with me everywhere I go.

I actually hope I don't feel the need to get used to it.  But maybe I will.  

Esteemed Contributor

The thing is, everybody thinks that they would be Cool Hand Luke if some sort of "bad guy" started something.

The reality is, with chaos, and adrinaline happening, people running around, the odds of actually "taking out the bad guy" are extremly slim.

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up in a household that was gun free. I have never owned a gun, nor do I have any desire to own one. I taught in a gun free zone, even with gangs in my school. There is no way I would ever work in an educational environment that advocate everone packing heat. Even our security guards didn't carry. There is much greater chance of something going horribly wrong in a universal carry atmosphere than there is odds on someone coming on campus with a gun. What could possibly go wrong???? Everything!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The thing is, everybody thinks that they would be Cool Hand Luke if some sort of "bad guy" started something.

The reality is, with chaos, and adrinaline happening, people running around, the odds of actually "taking out the bad guy" are extremly slim.

***************  That is exactly why I think it should be trained security guards, off duty cops,  or former military.  They are trained to "think" under pressure. A real high powered sniper rifle can shoot over 2 miles.  An assault rifle can easily take down 15 people.  Someone like this has a very good chance of taking out a killer (or killers) and saving... not all, but a lot of people....until the police arrived. It sure beats doing nothing!

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Here in Tx. now with a permit you can carry a gun. I saw a guy Thurs in the walmart with his gun clearly visible in his holster looking at TV's.

My first thought he was undercover, but, then I remembered now that in Tx you can carry a firearm, guess you have to carry the permit around with you if a cop sees you.

Schools are so dangerous any more. kids are apt to go off the deep end, teachers are 'dating' students, drugs, etc.  Glad I wasn't raised in this era.

Scary.....................

@SharkE

I can only speak for our state where if you are carrying in public, you best have your permit with you. Kinda like a drivers license if you are driving. Should you be questioned for anything and be carrying a handgun? You had better hope the officer looks it up on his computer and gives you a warning.

Were I in Law Enforcement and came across a person carrying and did not have their permit with them? First you take the handgun and next check the validity of their claim. I would take their handgun back to my headquarters and that is where they would have to go to recover it. Also throw in a fine, say $25, maybe a bit more. You have a permit for a reason, and "when you carry in public, you carry your permit".

Just an FYI for you.       =^..^=

hckynut(john)

I'm still a Tx. transplant from Ind. so, didn't know what was the protocall

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

I am in my late 70s and I cannot fathom what these schools are like now days and what the kids have to fear.   I have one more grandchild to graduate from college and one still in HS w/college to go.  Scares me.

Lest someone tells me about the "real world", yes I know, but when they are still in some kind of school, I worry about them more.

@Patriot3

You mention the "real world". That world evolves in places other than in schools. Sure, schools have been 1 of the "soft targets", but we best not forget the theaters/nightclubs/churches and other places in that "real world" that include this old man and many other vulnerable "soft targets" for those looking to find the most vulnerable.

Thinking because one is out of a school building, of any level,

makes individuals safer in this present world, one might want to think again.

I can readily see and understand your love of your grandchildren, everyone can see it. Thinking their lives will be safer because they are no longer in a school building? The "real world" in which I live, tells me otherwise.

My choice is to live my life doing the same things I enjoyed in past decades, not worried or concerned of "what might happen". I am and always have been a very observant person and as each year passes and our world changes, I also choose to change how I protect myself, and continue on without worrying.

hckynut(john)

I didn't say I didn't worry in the "real world".  If you notice, I said "when they are still in school, I worry more".  Mostly because they are younger.

I certainly don't live my life in a state of constant fear/anxiety.  I know we can't be taking every step of life w/worry, but that doesn't take away my concern and I was merely stating that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut  Sadly, I have to respectfully disagree with you regarding the need for training being too restrictive. I've been on the range with Federal Agents, law enforcement and other individuals who are required to carry a gun and have been appalled to watch them not be able to hit a target repeatedly. Why? Because the vast majority ONLY have to qualify once a year (if that) to carry a weapon. What does this mean? That many who we believe are well trained are not; that many can NOT hit a target when they aim; that many are actually nervous when it comes to handling their gun.

ALL of this is due to the fact that they don't routinely (weekly) practice. I do not want someone who goes once a year and carries a gun daily attempt to protect my children because most likely, they will FAIL at the task. You want to carry a gun; you better know how to use it and use it correctly with confidence. Confidence is earned with practice. Sadly, MANY mistake confidence with being c*ocky- HUGE difference.

Respected Contributor

I would not allow any child of mine to be in a school where anyone was carrying a weapon.

I cannot phathom anyone not pausing for a minute before taking action to take a life.  Anyone's.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

I would not allow any child of mine to be in a school where anyone was carrying a weapon.

I cannot phathom anyone not pausing for a minute before taking action to take a life.  Anyone's.

@hennypenny, interesting that you should home in on the idea that you must shoot immediately without pause.

While that may work in some situations, there have been too many tragic such decisions, some of which include killing one's own family members or totally innocent strangers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

@hennypenny

"A minute"?  And if someone, with a legal handgun and in fear of severe bodily injury or death, should count "1 thousand 1/1  thousand 2", before shooting?  

I can only speak for myself were I in that position. I would shoot first, since I was not the aggressor. Kinda like the game I love, hockey! You don't act by instinct, but thought? Your chance has come and gone while you took a split second to think.

Others can choose whether to "act" or "react".  No "react" for me in this situation. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)