Honored Contributor

Re: COLORADO TRAINS TEACHERS TO CARRY FIREARMS IN CLASSROOMS

@Bri36 wrote:

They're training teachers how to use a firearm 

Will there be firearms in the classroom?

I'm not sure about this?    Keeping kids safe is of the utmost importance.   I'm not sure about having a firearm in the classroom...

If they were not in the classroom, I don't see how they would have time to get them from somewhere else. Time is not on your side, with these type of situations.

Honored Contributor

I don't think there is "an answer" here.

And that goes for arming teachers as well.  

If I had children in school I would have a big problem with arming teachers after giving them a 3 day crash course in firearm use and safety.  A BIG problem.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I think if you feel you need to carry around a gun , at least it should be out  where people can be aware of it.

@151949,

I prefer the conceal carry for several reasons. I believe the more that "conceal carry" it makes certain types of wrong doers, uncertain of who is, and who is not, a soft target on which to prey. I have no statistical information to back this up, this is simply how I feel.

Criminals, if you notice, like to prey on soft targets. Elderly people/gun free zones and do not want their intended victims to put up much resistance to their quests. It certainly is not in their plan to end up being "the victim", with possibly a few holes put into their body.

Open carry? Unless the holster has a strap, or if carried openly in their pants at waist level, a handgun could be easy to grab by a perp. The one carrying might be able to shoot quicker, but that also gives the perp easier access to the handgun.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I can tell most of you are not used to firearms.  I am a gun person and carry all the time.  If I had a child in school today I would most certainly want the teachers and all school personnel trained and I stress TRAINED in gun safety and training.  IMHO all children starting at 1st grade level should be taught gun safety.  I said safety not use.  Again my opinion is that 3 days it not enough, especially for those unfamiliar with guns.  My daughter is a school teacher in another state and she has firearms training and is very familiar with guns and she carries to school.  I am so sad to think that this will most likely be the norm in the near future.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I totally agree with your ex just how easy it is for someone to take a gun away that is why you shoot first and not let them get that close.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

I am in my late 70s and I cannot fathom what these schools are like now days and what the kids have to fear.   I have one more grandchild to graduate from college and one still in HS w/college to go.  Scares me.

Lest someone tells me about the "real world", yes I know, but when they are still in some kind of school, I worry about them more.

@Patriot3

You mention the "real world". That world evolves in places other than in schools. Sure, schools have been 1 of the "soft targets", but we best not forget the theaters/nightclubs/churches and other places in that "real world" that include this old man and many other vulnerable "soft targets" for those looking to find the most vulnerable.

Thinking because one is out of a school building, of any level,

makes individuals safer in this present world, one might want to think again.

I can readily see and understand your love of your grandchildren, everyone can see it. Thinking their lives will be safer because they are no longer in a school building? The "real world" in which I live, tells me otherwise.

My choice is to live my life doing the same things I enjoyed in past decades, not worried or concerned of "what might happen". I am and always have been a very observant person and as each year passes and our world changes, I also choose to change how I protect myself, and continue on without worrying.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Everybody wants to be John Wayne/Dirty Harry, and be the hero.

johnwayne.gif

Esteemed Contributor

MY original,question still,goes unanswered.  Do parents have the right to have their children moved to another class if they do not want their child to be in a class with a pistol,packing teacher?

Honored Contributor

Well, if they can carry anyway I definitely see advantage to providing, and hopefully requiring, training.  If one can show a certificate that s/he is already trained, fine.  If not, training s/b required.

I'm not against guns but I just think that civilians should not have access to military assault weapons or huge clips.

I haven't shot a gun in decades.  Last one was  30-06.   That's some gun!   Anyway, the primary reason for which I don't have a gun is that I have PTSD and clinical depression.  I don't think people like that should have deadly weapons either, so I fall right smack into that category.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

MY original,question still,goes unanswered.  Do parents have the right to have their children moved to another class if they do not want their child to be in a class with a pistol,packing teacher?

My answer would be yes.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to put my child in danger, by being in a classroom where there could be bullets flying all over the place.