Valued Contributor

Re: COLORADO TRAINS TEACHERS TO CARRY FIREARMS IN CLASSROOMS

@151949 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Let's just hope that the wanna-be hero's hands aren't shaking either from adrinaline, or from a medical condition.

One can do all the target practice in the world.

It's one thing to shoot at a piece of paper in a static, controlled situation.

It is entirely different to have a large number of people all running towards you, screaming, and trying to shoot then.

I wish I could heart this 1000 times! 

Medical personnel are trained to do CPR  and trained to do CPR and trained to do CPR -- over and over and over. But the first few times they have to do it they are nervous wrecks and woefully unable to think straight. It's the adrenaline effect. After they find they actually lived thru this experience they start to calm down and the training kicks in.A teacher in this situation would be nothing but a huge ball of nerves and adrenaline. So yes, lets add another person with a gun to that situation.

Thank you medical trained personnel for your opinion. It doesn't matter to me, but thanks anyway.

Respected Contributor

At my school we had a well practiced and thoughtout procedure for lockdown in case of intruder, armed or not.

This included a messaging system to indicate to first responders whether we were safe or not in the room.

My classroom was on the ground floor.

We routinely had drills, especially fire/lockdown, tornado to insure child safety and look w/a clinical eye on what we were doing. We even had fire/police come in to observe and offer suggestions, timing, logistics, etc.

This took a new focus and intensity after Sandy Hook. That man should have been hospitalized well before the incident. I believe he was not medication compliant; his mother was unstable, imho.

Honored Contributor

I'm thankful that I live in the state that I do! All the people saying woulda, coulda and shoulda don't know how they would react, they're just replying for replying's sake! Sitting home in an easy chair and playing out the old west in your head isn't the answer!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

So here's the thing. I have owned guns been trained with Marines how to shoot and have worked in a Sheriffs office and had safety training. That said I think some zealots who think because they have been in a controlled environment can do the same when a live shooter is involved. Seeing how this person responded with personal name calling and a litany of other responses I would not feel safe with this person or someone like them in a school setting. Look at that poor man who told the police officer he was carrying his gun and permit. He was shot point blank. This was done by a "trained" officer.

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom  I think there are many who hit below the belt with personal name calling; plenty of blame to go around.

This was an interesting and courteous conversation until a few ruined it. Thank you, ladies. Once again you've derailed it with your actions.

Enjoy your day, everyone.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom  I think there are many who hit below the belt with personal name calling; plenty of blame to go around.

This was an interesting and courteous conversation until a few ruined it. Thank you, ladies. Once again you've derailed it with your actions.

Enjoy your day, everyone.

Excuse me? So because the person who was rude to everyone has had there replies deleted your going to put this at me?  Well alrighty then.