Respected Contributor

Re: COLORADO TRAINS TEACHERS TO CARRY FIREARMS IN CLASSROOMS

Hi @hckynut, I know that I am a strange duck, but I am not so sure I could take a life under any circumstances.  Some people were saying that an aggressor couldn't take a weapon from them. I would be the one who would be handing over a gun.

One never knows for sure, and under hideous circumstances such as the protection of others, animal instinct might take over. 

I just don't want to think about children being in daily contact with weapons so lethal.

P.s. How did the skating go?

Honored Contributor

Being able to remain calm, cool and totally in control under extreme pressure takes years to learn. After 42 years as an ICU nurse - having to remain calm and think before reacting - but still reacting immediately - I can tell you this is something that one does not learn overnight. And even after years of this being my job - when faced with someone holding a gun I seriously doubt I could remain calm enough to accurately use it, let alone a teacher who has never faced this type of situation.

Plus - where in the classroom would this gun be? If it is in a desk drawer - do you really think a shooter would allow the teacher to get to it?Seriously! If it is on her /his person in a concealed area like under a shirt or jacket or in an ankle holster - do you think a shooter would allow the teacher to get to it? Seriously! 

I agree with another poster who said "what could go wrong? Everything."

Esteemed Contributor

I am not overly thrilled with teachers carrying guns. Do they give the teachers mental evaluations would be my question. Im glad I have 1 granddaughter out of school as of last year, 1 graduates next year and the other one is 13. Things have changed so much in this world in general. It worries me for them.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I don't think anyone's mentioned this, so I will.

I've known a couple of inner city teachers whose patience was sorely tried by their charges. One of them would occasionally get overwrought and manhandle one of the kids who was acting out. This happened several times over the 20+ years I knew him. He was able to beat any charges, but he was also never forced to seek psychiatric help for his anger management issues.

Teachers are being pushed to the limit these days by unruly students and a data-driven teaching environment that can seem inconsistent at best and predatory at worst. I just wonder how long it will take for one of those armed teachers to pull out a gun, first to threaten a student, and then who knows? How this initiative is accommodating those realities, and are the school systems adopting this concept prepared for what could happen?

Respected Contributor

I'm from North Carolina and we are able to open carry without a permit. The House has just passed a bill to allow concealed carry Without a permit and no classes.  Please let your concerns be known before it goes to the senate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut

I totally agree, John.  DH was in Viet Nam specialty forces. Very sad to say he and others had to open fire on women and children.  I know this sounds terrible (and it is) but when a woman and her 12 yr. old son are charging you with grenades in hand....it's you or it's them. When it comes to our children and there is a shooter on the premices, if you want to save those children, you can't hesitate. No one comes to school fully loaded carrying weapons with good intentions.  Radical terrorists or lone gunmen who are mentally sick....it doesn't matter. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

MY original,question still,goes unanswered.  Do parents have the right to have their children moved to another class if they do not want their child to be in a class with a pistol,packing teacher?

My answer would be yes.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to put my child in danger, by being in a classroom where there could be bullets flying all over the place.

You should take a gun safety class, even if you never shoot because you are making assumstions that aren't true.  In training you are always taught that not only do you see the target, but you assess what is behind and to side of the target. Anyone that has trained understands this and they are not spraying bullets in a random pattern. 

Your child is safer when a teacher has a handgun in a lockdown situation then without. The teacher can barricade themselves inside the classroom, have the children move the furtherst corner, then the armed teacher takes a position of open sight at the door, if a shooter tries to enter that door the teacher has a sight picture to take a clear shot. What chance does the classroom have if the teacher is cowering in the corner with the children? None!

Do you not see that your statement of bullets flying all over the place vs. a clear and defined plan of action is actually better for the children. If a shooter tries to enter the classrom and there is no weapon to protect those in the classroom how much chance do those kids have? None!

Teachers should a plan of action, children should be taken to the further corner, desks put around as a barricade then the teacher has the chance to position themselves is a safe manner to shoot if need be.

I would rather have kids in that situation then one where are supposed to throw soup cans at the armed intruder.

Esteemed Contributor

At work, we are taught that in a active shooter situation, we are to run, hide, fight.

We are not taught to run, hide, blow someone's head off.

Valued Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

At work, we are taught that in a active shooter situation, we are to run, hide, fight.

Well obviously that doesn't work in most work place shooting incidents, San Bernadino for one. But it's your right to run and hide. When someone such as yourself has a fear that doesn't make logical sense, then you are the person that doesn't need to carry a gun. But if you are standing next to me and I save your life with mine I would at least expect a thank you.

Respected Contributor

@granny me wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Well obviously that doesn't work in most work place shooting incidents, San Bernadino for one. But it's your right to run and hide. When someone such as yourself has a fear that doesn't make logical sense, then you are the person that doesn't need to carry a gun. But if you are standing next to me and I save your life with mine I would at least expect a thank you.

That is what is taught by LE.  And just because you have a gun does not equate the safety of others. So no thanks.