Valued Contributor

Re: COLORADO TRAINS TEACHERS TO CARRY FIREARMS IN CLASSROOMS

@maestra wrote:

My concern with this would be if a student who was belligerent or angry would take the gun from the teacher to hurt the teacher(s) or other students.

The gun isn't going to be openly laying out. I carry appendix, if someone is reaching into my pants then they are my threat and I will proceed as trained.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Kachina624...You are absolutely correct.  My late husband traveled a lot and owned a hand gun along with two rifles and the townhouse we lived in had four bedrooms on the second floor, no exit if someone was coming up the stairs.  He thought it would be a good idea for me to have a gun next to the bed when he was out of town knowing I had lessons he felt I could handle it.  One night I had it on the night stand next to my bed and it made me so uncomfortable I gave up on that idea. 

I'm certainly different than you; having a gun next to my bed makes me feel comfortable, knowing that I can protect myself.

I don't want to be at the mercy of home invaders or burglars.

I refuse to be a victim.

Honored Contributor

Let's just wait until a kid gets their hands on one of those guns and hear the outcry.

Honored Contributor

My opinion changed 30 years ago.  My ex was a cop.  One night he apparently forgot to lock up his gun and my 4 year old found it.  How my ex took care of his gun was about the only argument we ever had.  He was too lax, IMO.  I was actually relieved when we separated since he took his weapons with him.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH has a  big ole shotgun in his closet with ammo right next to it. You don't have to have a HAND gun to protect your home.My husband used to hunt and had rifles and shotguns and even a muzzle loader.Now he just has that one shotgun. 

I am not anti guns but I am against HAND guns and giving every Tom, ****** and Harry a concealed carry permit. I think if you feel you need to carry around a gun , at least it should be out  where people can be aware of it.

I can think of hundreds of reasons this teachers having guns in classrooms is a very bad idea.

Honored Contributor

I am in total favor for this firearm legislation. I have been a Colorado resident since 1969. Gun-free zones are not the answer to curtail gun violence. It does not work.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

Let's just wait until a kid gets their hands on one of those guns and hear the outcry.

Not to mention the lawsuits.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

As a 70 year old who remembers feeling safe in school, I'm sorry it has come to this.  I forgot to say that.

Annabelle, I am in my late 70s and I cannot fathom what these schools are like now days and what the kids have to fear.   I have one more grandchild to graduate from college and one still in HS w/college to go.  Scares me.

Lest someone tells me about the "real world", yes I know, but when they are still in some kind of school, I worry about them more.

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

If public schools are so dangerous that teachers need to be armed, why would anyone send their child there?

A shooter could just as easily come into a private school or church school!

Honored Contributor

@Roni18 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

If public schools are so dangerous that teachers need to be armed, why would anyone send their child there?

A shooter could just as easily come into a private school or church school!

And not everyone has the option of sending their kids to a different school.