Esteemed Contributor

Re: COLORADO TRAINS TEACHERS TO CARRY FIREARMS IN CLASSROOMS

Kachina624...You are absolutely correct.  My late husband traveled a lot and owned a hand gun along with two rifles and the townhouse we lived in had four bedrooms on the second floor, no exit if someone was coming up the stairs.  He thought it would be a good idea for me to have a gun next to the bed when he was out of town knowing I had lessons he felt I could handle it.  One night I had it on the night stand next to my bed and it made me so uncomfortable I gave up on that idea. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Those are the words directly from the article.

@qbetzforreal wrote:

The title of this thread is misleading.  Colorado already allows teachers to carry concealed weapons on school grounds if the school permits it.  Only one county is providing training, not the entire state.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This whole concept scares me to death.  My dear ex was a cop and he showed me how easily and how fast a strong man can take a gun from a woman.  For that reason, I've never owned one, although I have an "Expert Marksman" rating from my experience in the USAF. There's a good likelihood your gun could be used on YOU. 

If she hesitates he can.   It is dangerous to have one if you have doubts about using it.  

Honored Contributor

No thanks, I would never in a gazillion years send my children to a school wtih armed teachers, no lectures please..........

Esteemed Contributor

In your statement about co-workers having a desire to get such policies here, are you comfortable saying where here is?

@wildcat fan wrote:

The day that my school district encourages me to bring or use a fire arm in my classroom is the day I either look for a new job or new career.  However, I have had several co-workers who have openly spoken about their desire to get such policies here.

This past school year was the toughest, roughest group of students I've ever taught.  Lots of gang affiliations and there were several times that I didn't feel safe, but I still would never want to carry a weapon.  IMO it would have made a tough situation even worse.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Do the student's parents get to,refuse to have their child in a classroom where a fire arm is present?  

Not if an armed gunman comes into the school and starts shooting they don't have a choice.

Esteemed Contributor

sharke...Your post reminded me of the same thing I saw in a Walmart here in AZ.  We had recently moved from CA to AZ where you can legally carry a gun as long as you have a permit.  I was in a Walmart when I saw a man, his wife and two small children walking past me and noticed a gun, not in a holster mind you, stuck in his belt just hanging there for anyone to see and take if so desired.  I was stunned to say the least and felt it was in very poor judgement.

@SharkE wrote:

Here in Tx. now with a permit you can carry a gun. I saw a guy Thurs in the walmart with his gun clearly visible in his holster looking at TV's.

My first thought he was undercover, but, then I remembered now that in Tx you can carry a firearm, guess you have to carry the permit around with you if a cop sees you.

Schools are so dangerous any more. kids are apt to go off the deep end, teachers are 'dating' students, drugs, etc.  Glad I wasn't raised in this era.

Scary.....................

Valued Contributor

I read about this the other day.  There were 17 people trained.  Everyone of the trainees were already licensed to carry weapons and were designated by the school board or school district to be a security volunteer.  It is an extra volunteer duty, not paid.  The article went on to say that they want one person per building per floor. 

Most of the school districts are not publicizing that they are part of the training.  The trainees will also be getting some medical training in the future.

libby's folly
Esteemed Contributor

annabellethecat...I remember the days of feeling safe in school and just plain safe, period.  The world today terrifies me.

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

As a 70 year old who remembers feeling safe in school, I'm sorry it has come to this.  I forgot to say that.

Valued Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

As a gun owner who holds permits to conceal and open carry, I find this 3 day training HORRIBLY lacking and dangerous.

IF you're going to do this, at LEAST make it what many of us gun owners support:

* 2 -3 weeks of classroom training plus a written test

* 2 weeks of range training with one-on-one with an instructor

* requirement of weekly target practice plus ongoing training with an instructor

* FBI background check before allowing the purchase of a gun (the one they supposedly will be carrying in the classroom).

THis is what I went through in order to earn my first licence and how I train. Will that happen? Nope.

You are correct. I have trained and trained and continue my training so I am capable of using my weapon AS A LAST RESORT.